Views on Universities please.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fran17

Views on Universities please.

Post by Fran17 »

My eldest son's second choices are UWE in Bristol, Northumbria and Oxford Brookes. I wondered if any of you know anything about these Unis. We have done lots of research and been to visit them but would welcome any views.
Guest55

Re: Views on Universities please.

Post by Guest55 »

Which course is he applying for?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

ITMB (Information Technology and Management for Business). It is a degree developed in association with e-skills UK and employers such as IBM, Cisco and Unilever. It is only offered at 13 Universities and the students are strongly encouraged to take up a work placement in the third year, which my son is very keen to do.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I don't know anything about the first 2, but Oxford Brookes was very good at the Open Day. My daughter is hoping to put to get an offer ....as long as the UCAS form eventually goes - it has been back and forth submitted and rejected all week due to silly things like forgetting to enter the subjects for A2, and wanting to fund up front and forgetting to put some famous poet's surname in her personal statement :shock: She wants to do English, so I've no advice about the course your son is interested in. I do know they were very keen to offer a year abroad or a year in industry, so that might be what he's looking for.

Good luck, hopefully someone with experience will know something about your son's choices, and be able to offer advice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These courses are usually better at 'old polytechnics' - so I would say UWE and Oxford Brookes are fine - don't know much about Northumbria.

PMing you
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you LFH and Guest55
Looking for help wrote:I don't know anything about the first 2, but Oxford Brookes was very good at the Open Day. My daughter is hoping to put to get an offer ....as long as the UCAS form eventually goes - it has been back and forth submitted and rejected all week due to silly things like forgetting to enter the subjects for A2, and wanting to fund up front and forgetting to put some famous poet's surname in her personal statement :shock:
My son asked me to check through his UCAS form with him last night before he submits it to his school to be sent off and I pointed out that he had given himself a lower grade than he had actually achieved in two of his ASs. :shock: I think they are tired and quite frankly fed up with the UCAS application process. He checked through it again with my DH tonight and will be handing it in tomorrow. I will keep everything crossed for all our DCs! :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my son is at UWE. He is very happy there and enjoying the course very much. He is studying Philosophy
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I have to say with complete embarrassment that I had not picked up all her mistakes so I have to take some responsibility. It is a difficult time , and yes they are tired and fed up of it all, the personal statement took a great toll on all of us, reading and rereading and trying to get to less than 4000 characters (and now a week later, I can't remember if that's including or excluding spaces :oops: )

I don't recall being this hands on with my older two, maybe they were more'sorted'.

Good luck to your son, hope the offers come flooding in :D
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Guest55 wrote:These courses are usually better at 'old polytechnics' - so I would say UWE and Oxford Brookes are fine - don't know much about Northumbria.

It is interesting that you say this. We looked at Lancaster and Loughborough but were more impressed with his so-called second choices. Depending on offers of course, I think his second choices may become his first.

As you say LFH let's hope lots of offers role in for all our DCs. :D
Last edited by Fran17 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now