Codes taking aaages!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Codes taking aaages!

Post by Manana »

DS is taking the 11+ next November and we've worked through the IPS techniques which were really helpful and are going the 30 minute tests now. He's just done test 9 and is getting good marks (47/50) but only ever gets up to about question 38 by the end of the (surrepticiously timed) 30 minutes. I know it's the code questions that are slowing him down. He doesn't like them and today was on the verge of making silly mistakes with counting forward/backwards. I've read the tips on here for codes and think I'll try just giving him a few sections of cde questions and getting his speed up on thowse. The first AFN papershas a section of 9 code questions-how long *should* 9 questions take him-how long shall I give him to try to get quicker??

Do tutors think the code questions should have slightly more time than the others-what do you aim for?
patricia

Re: Codes taking aaages!

Post by patricia »

Dear Teachermum76

If IPS 50 questions are used at the very beginning of tuition, children rarely finish in 30 minutes.

With regard to codes, with practice and using short cuts timing can be trimmed to approx 30 / 35 seconds. However I make the children complete these questions fully to start with to ensure they are comfortable with the technique.

A section of 9 codes from AFN, the long way could take approx 50/60 seconds a question. I constantly say "Codes take a long time, do not panic they are easy 100% marks."

I do not believe in the 30 second per question regardless of type or difficulty rule. It is variable, some question types will take under 10 seconds others with take 30/40/50 seconds. The Zs will take even longer.

It is a good idea to play alphabet games with the children, in order to become familar with the position of letters.

I have some plastic letters which I throw to the children one at a time, in random order but in quick succession, they have to make up the alphabet, laid out in an arc. They have to think quickly as to where in the arc the letter goes.

To make it fun [and to amaze :wink: their parents at the end of the session ] I teach...

A = 1
E = 5
M = 13 [26 letters, 13 = M for Middle]
T = 20 [ T for Twenty]
Z = 26 [ you would be surprised how many variations I get for the amount of letters in the alphabet!]

You can then ask questions..

What is the 6th letter of the alphabet = 1 after the 5 [E] = F
What is the 19th letter of the alphabet = 1 before 20 [T] = S
Add together the position numbers of E and N and give your answer as a letter
5 + 14 = 19 = S

Patricia
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Patricia, that is a brilliant method. Has there been any progress on a 'Patricia's corner', or something similar - a sticky for these invaluable tips?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Sometime ago I wrote a Method and Technique book for 11 plus exams, this will eventually be made available to view on the main website. A sticky will be made in the Verbal Reasoning section with links to the relevant pages.

Incorporated within this sticky will be additional links to various tips that I or others may have written that may be of use.

Patricia
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That sounds great. Thank you.
Slowy

Post by Slowy »

Dear Patricia,

We have got the exam coming up in a week now and I'm furiously trying to find tips that will help DD get the extra points that could make the difference between passing or not. I saw in this thread that you were going to publish a booklet of tips and techniques and that there would be a sticky to help people get to the relevant threads for help with various question types. Did you do this in the end, and if so, would you be able to help me to find it..? There will be a few late nights for me, if not, searching through your posts, have already uncovered a few gems so far, thanks!

Thanks Very much for your help,
patricia

Post by patricia »

I will ask elevenplusexams what is the current position.

Patricia
Slowy

Post by Slowy »

Great, thank you very much!
Manana

Post by Manana »

I've just realised that I started this post nearly a year ago! I just thought I'd reply and it would help people with DC in Y5 who feel the same as I did might be a bit reassured to know that DS doesn't seem (touch wood) to struggle with timings at all any more. Had I realised this would happen, I wouldn't have panicked so much when we started doing the IPS papers and got the poor boy in such a tizzy!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

It's always good to hear someone who's come through the other side! I've started printing out posts I think are going to be useful to me when I start the '11+ year' and think I shall include your reply amongst them! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now