Halliford School in Shepperton.

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

munch

Halliford School in Shepperton.

Post by munch »

Does anybody have any experience of Halliford School in Shepperton?
Any comments would be appreciated.
doingmybest

Re: Halliford School in Shepperton.

Post by doingmybest »

Friends have DSs at Halliford and are very pleased with it. Denmead (prep school now owned by Hampton) is a big feeder for the boys who don't make Hampton, which is actually most of them, and parents are generally very happy with Halliford as an alternative. It is not one of the very competitive, academic schools, but parents like the small class sizes and individual attention each pupil gets. The ex-forces head has a fantastic reputation locally.
Its very easy to dismiss schools like Halliford because their results don't compare favourably to more competitive boys schools in the area, but they are offering something different and are taking in a different set of boys, and if you take into account their very open admissions policy that makes their results quite impressive. Having said that to a lot of people it is a back up school, but that could change as the head's reputation grows.
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks for that doingmybest, that is actually the exact impression I had of it. I noticed it's not up there academically but that doesn't seem to be all it's about. I am going along to the open morning next week so will have a bit more to go then. Thanks again.
Thisismadness

Post by Thisismadness »

I'm actually aiming at Halliford for my son and would be very interested to hear from anyone who knows what national curriculum levels they need to be to get in. He's average (level 4s now - probably a 5 in maths by sats time). Does anyone know if it's oversubscribed?
munch

Post by munch »

Hi Thisismadness,
This is from the school's website:

The entrance examination for entry in September 2012 will be held on Saturday 28th January 2012. It will consist of papers in English and Mathematics and tests in verbal and non-verbal reasoning. The verbal and non-verbal reasoning papers are standard. The English paper is in two parts - comprehension and composition. The Mathematics paper is based on National Curriculum level 4.

When I spoke to the school recently they mentioned a pass mark of 50% to get in I think, and that the headmaster was interviewing as the registration applications were coming which I haven't come across before. The indication was that they were in demand. St James told me the same thing which in the current financial times seems surprising.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now