Handsworth Exam any idea ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anxious_mother

Handsworth Exam any idea ?

Post by anxious_mother »

Hi friends,
does anyone know what to expect for Hansworth exam ? all we know is that there will be a high standard of traditional VR and from this year onward they will consider English too and we were told that they might give essay writing also. please share ur thoughts.
UmSusu

Re: Handsworth Exam any idea ?

Post by UmSusu »

They begin with a VR paper which lasts about an hour. Then a break followed by a 30 minute paper in maths and another 30 minute paper in English. Their English paper has traditionally been a writing paper and I expect it will be the same this year, but I don't know for sure.
Unlike previous years, they will give equal weighting to all 3 areas :?
UmSusu
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

many thanks UmSusu
xumanah

Post by xumanah »

If I remember correctly, my DS1 was really excited about what he written for his english writing paper. He wasn't all that infused with the VR or Maths but raved how well the english went. I think he had to write a little story and if memory serves me correctly, he based his story on a haunted house.
But from what I understood, Handsworth really only take into consideration the VR and then the maths/english on borderline candidates.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Yes that used to be the case but at the open evening this year the Head said they would take all 3 into account equally from this year on.
UmSusu
xumanah

Post by xumanah »

The head of the school (Mr Shepard) is apparently leaving at the end of the year due to personal reasons. We received letters sometime last week informing us.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Oh that's so sad he was a lovely Head Master.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Good luck to those doing the exam tomorrow at HGB :D . Are all the applicants doing it at the school itself or are they also using other premises?

They were very quick and organised last week but those who insisted to drive right up to the school seemed to get themselves stuck in queuing traffic.
UmSusu
twinsmom11

Post by twinsmom11 »

My two sons(twins) appeared for the HGS exam yesterday and both said the paper was very easy. In fact almost all the kids came out cheering so it implies the paper was not at all difficult compared to the consortium exam a week earlier. But we are facing a rather peculiar issue with regards to my second DS. He came out with a worried look on his face and I could sense there was some problem or he may have messed up his exam but apparently he was given a warning that he will be dissqualified for speaking to the child next to him because he has asked my son for a sharpener!! :shock: Now, having grilled him what exactly happened, my son said that the boy siting next to him has asked to pass his sharpener and my son just nodded and didn't said anything but this apparently caught the invigilator's attention and she came up to their table and looked at their names on the paper and also scribbled something on a note with her. This action by her has prompted other kids in the room to pass on the comments that he will be now disqualified. And my poor son, worried as he is approached the lady to find out if this is true and she did not seem to given any clear answer and just said that "I've seen what I have to see!". :?: Now this comment make us to worry and approached immedeatly with some senior looking member of the school (who is actually at the gate controlling the kids) and she noted our information and said she'll call us later to tell if there was any issue.

Now I am wondering if this action of my son has any serious implications and if so what are the possible actions I have to do to clarify this or make some formal compliant? I intend to call the school tomorrow to find out if they got any information on this incident.

Luckily this thing did not played much on my poor son's mind as apperently this incident took place in the last 10 mins or so. But it took the happiness out of our minds even though both did a good job at the exam and I am so sorry for not able to treat them properly after that :cry:
saraakash

Post by saraakash »

Hi every1....

Firstly Twinsmom11, don't worry I'm sure they can't penalise your DS for a nod , the invigilator probably reacted the was she did just for the benefit of the other children so they don't talk to anyone.. well i hope you have made your call to the school and are feeling better I know how you must have felt though even a slight hiccup in this whole process seems to get my BP raised.

I am a newbie with registering on the forum and DS being the first of my kids to go through grammar prep route.
As all but one exam has been taken i can now start to feel slightly relaxed ( i think ) It has been a long and stressing experience as we were late starters in respect to the whole 11+ practice, with moving up and down the country in the last 3 years and my DS changing schools.

The forum has provided us with alot of valuable advice and hints , for which we are very thankful to as we wouldn't have known where to start. We have home tutored our son with DH doing the maths and me left with the rest.
As the first exam was the KE's we were hit really hard as DS came out with such a long face, feeling he hadn't passed it and that he found the maths section difficult even though this is his strongest subject , on the same day was his second exam one single NVR paper for an Academy nearby ( which he said was vey easy as NVR is his favourite ). And then there was HG exam on Saturday, which he said was also quite simple, he was able to tell me quite abit about the content whereas with the KE he refused to speak about it.

We still have QM on the 1st and then I can honestly say I am going to put all this at the back of my head, atleast till February.