Practice paper before the actual test???? Is it necessary?

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
saira7

Practice paper before the actual test???? Is it necessary?

Post by saira7 »

I have a little query... would really appreciate if someone can clarify this. Do children get a chance to do a full practice paper before both verbal and non verbal tests and ,I know these don't get marked but do children have to do the whole test,I mean can I advise my dd not to stress herself over these ones and retain her energy for the actual test, you know what I mean.... Thanks
aargh

Re: Practice paper before the actual test???? Is it necessar

Post by aargh »

Don't know what region you are in, but in Glos they do a short practice warm up before the actual test, not a big deal.
It is very important for those who have not had tutoring so they know what to expect.
It is also important for all the DCs to relax by answering a few unmarked Qs, getting into the feel of things/reassure that these are Qs they can cope with, before embarking on the real test. It is a way to induce more calm in possibly stressed children.
saira7

Post by saira7 »

Dear aargh, thanks for your reply. I'm in the redbridge area and here children have to do a full length non verbal practice test which i think is a bit too much on the actual day. I completely agree with you that a little practice is good to get them in the zone but it can go the other way around as well especially with a full length paper so just wanted to discuss whether it is a good idea to advise dd not to worry about how many questions she attempts in the practice paper as it doesn't really matter..... or does it?
aargh

Post by aargh »

It seems extraordinary to have a full length practice paper on the same day! Using up all that brain power and concentration.
I would say it might be worth something if they did such a thing on a earlier day. That way the DCs would get an idea of exam conditions beforehand.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now