Any legal eagles know how long a judicial review takes?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

Any legal eagles know how long a judicial review takes?

Post by Marylou »

Does anyone know when the decision on the high-court challenge to the tuition fees increase

http://www.publicinterestlawyers.co.uk/ ... php?id=185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is likely to be announced? Or has it already failed and we missed it?

The report implies that the decision is not made at the end of the two days and could take several weeks. The article does not mention when a decision is due and I'm completely unable to find out how long the process normally takes. If it had failed at the end of two days, then surely it wouldn't still have been reported after the event without this being mentioned? :?
Marylou
hermanmunster

Re: Any legal eagles know how long a judicial review takes?

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed can't find anything on a decision ... am sure we would hear!!!

Can take a while - some references to "a few weeks " in other cases..
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Well they took their time! Decision due today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... university" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think anyone is holding their breath for a positive outcome but I just love these two for trying! :)
Marylou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Indeed - not sure that the equality / human rights was the right route to go, but I suppose they knew what they were doing... I think a challenge of the allowable "regional" variation in university fees within the EU is more appropriate.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Hi Hermanmunster

Would you have any comments on this (from a legal view)?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=23491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I just read recently, that London is one of the best cities to study at but for international students a cost of £20K was huge, compared with say Paris where international students pay £1000 pa....perhaps we should all just be encouraging our children to go abroad :lol:

Thought I'd just made that up, but no here it is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17032251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So how can Paris univerisites charge £1000 to international students, and the UK charge £9000 to domestic students ? It is crazy, surely

It doesn't of course tell us the cost to French or other EU students studying in Paris, maybe it is similar.

Anyway good luck to the students, hope there is a reduction in fees, although I'm not holding my breath :lol:

Edited to add - the bBC website says they have one a partial victory - but no details as yet
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Further investigation shows they lost - I can't understand why they used the headline 'partial victory' - very misleading.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Like the rest of you, I didn't hold out much hope but good for them for trying. :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

suzanne wrote:Hi Hermanmunster

Would you have any comments on this (from a legal view)?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=23491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you
Hi Suzanne ... sorry can't help as in best Star Trek's Dr McCoy... I'm a Doctor not a Lawyer!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi Suzanne ... sorry can't help as in best Star Trek's Dr McCoy... I'm a Doctor not a Lawyer!
Chance of new tuition fee arrangements being reversed in the foreseeable future..."It's dead, Jim." :(

The government have effectively had their knuckles rapped. The judge said that they should have taken more time to assess the equality implications of what they were doing, but wouldn't quash the changes as it would cause "administrative chaos."

In other words, too much hassle. Which rather begs the question - since when has it been OK to condone breaking the law just because it's too inconvenient to do otherwise? :evil:
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now