Bursaries

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nina1on

Bursaries

Post by nina1on »

I was searching info on Bursaries and came across that all school(at least the ones I was looking) ask you to indicate IN ADVANCE if you are applying for a Bursary, thet means before the child seats an exam.
Does it mean that the school decision will be affected by the fact that we indicated in advance that we are not able to pay? From my point of view, why they would consider my child if they can take another child who will be paying?
In other words: when my child takes an exam, will he be competing against all children or the school will have a separate competition for the children with Bursaries?
Why they need to know in advance? Thanks for any input
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Bursaries

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Your child will be in competition with all other exam sitters, not just potential busary children. From what I gather they need to know in advance to see how much they actually can allocate.The others i'm not certain about,but I'm sure someone else will probablly know.
;D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Many schools only consider children for bursaries if they score very well in the exam - presumably they need to how many of the top scorers are looking for a bursary as they may not be able to fund all of them.

If they offer many places to children looking for bursaries they may effectively have to have a bursary waiting list
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Perhaps you're under the impression that if you ask for a bursary and are offered a place, you will automatically be offered the bursary as well? That's not how it works.

Taking a school I'm reasonably familiar with as an example (KEHS in B'ham), 51% of applicants for Y7 entry in 2010 asked for a bursary (it was ~40% the two previous years, so a steep increase on an already high number).

However, there are only a handful of bursaries available, so the school allocates them to the highest performing applicants who asked for a bursary. Anyone else who qualifies is offered a place at full fees (unless they get a scholarship - but there are even fewer of those!). So the first thing the school has to decide is how many offers to make - because most applicants have asked for a bursary but will instead be offered a place at full fees. Some of them will no doubt decide they can find the money from somewhere after all, or will find grandparents who can help, etc., but most turn the place down. So the school has to make a lot more offers than it has places and needs to have some basis for working out how many extra offers to make.

In the case of KEHS, if people turn down bursary places the assistance is offered to people further down the line. I don't think that applies everywhere though, I think in many (most?) schools any bursaries that aren't taken up just lapse.

Mike
nina1on

Post by nina1on »

Thank you, Mike. No, on the contrary, I am under impression that if I indicate in my application that I apply for Bursaries, I will not be offered place at all!The places will go to the children who did not apply for a Bursary.
So, I understand that the entrance test is a key point and if my child passes the entrance test…only than school will take into account that I applied for the Bursary. And if they decide that they can not offer me a Bursary, they will let me know if I want to make a choice-to accept the place and pay fees…or not to accept the place at all?
Thanks a lot for the Info!