Colet Court?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

Colet Court?

Post by menagerie »

DS been for a tutor assessment this half term and he suggested Colet Court, the feeder school to St Paul's, would be a good fit. Bit surprised. We were looking at local schools. Does anyone know anything about it?
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: Colet Court?

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I've only heard of good things from this prep school!

If you son is bright,there can't be any harm in applying as there are no registration fees or forms ( :D ) but the register closes on the 23 November 2011. There is a wide range of extra circular activities that includes rowing and even a gardening club. They've also recently got a new drama studio, so expect more productions.

The boys are well supported and the natural destination of its boys is St Paul’s, with 78/89 later taking up places in 2010,but the rest also get places at other well regarded schools.

http://www.coletcourt.org.uk/resource.aspx?id=148217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my opinion you've got nothing to lose,but lots to gain, so why not?
;D
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thanks, Things.

We don't live in London, so it's not a school that local parents discuss or choose that often. But, oh my... I'd be very proud if they got in.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Colet Court is a very academic school and may not suit all children, even bright ones. I hear that they have taken some measures to reduce the pressure and anxiety, including not having a formal scholarship class. However out in West London a place at Colet Court is sometimes seen as the glittering prize and this can fuel a lot competitive parenting and tutoring. I have also noticed that several boys I know are not going onto the senior school, but have not asked why. It used to be that it was assumed you went all the way through.

That said it is a school with amazing facilities that delivers a very high level of education.

It is really about the child. If your child is intellectually curious and enjoys education and is able to ignore pressure generated by more anxious boys, it will be an amazing opportunity.

However if a long journey (and that bit of Barnes is not easy to reach, especially by car in rush hour) and lots of homework is likely to become a burden, then it might be better to send him to a Prep which embraces a broader church, but which does send boys regularly to St Pauls, Westminster, Eton, Kings Wimbledon and the rest, and leave it till 13. The general view is that the Senior School is more relaxed than Colet Court.
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

I agree with Londonmum. About 40%of boys at DS's prep have offers for St Pauls, its not unusual and a good academic prep in your area will have similar results provided it is commutable. Surprisingly, only 20% received offers from Kings, which excepting Westminster has become the hardest school to get into over the last few years - I don't know why but applications have soared.
The whole point of a prep school is finding the right senior school for your DC, prep school heads know the senior schools very well, they know their boys very well and will steer you in the right direction. DS's head says that all boys leaving his school are in the top half of their senior school, they never let a boy go onto a school at which he would struggle, and that to him is what makes his school a success.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

This is so helpful for deciding how to proceed. I think Colet Court is not what we're after from what you all describe, particularly for DS2, and we do want them at the same school if we can find one that suits them both.
nina1on

Post by nina1on »

Sorry, where the information comes from that you dont need any papers and no fee to pay when you apply for Colet school? I also read on the web site that you just need to add the name of my son to the list for 11+....only to be told that I have to come personaly to the school and fill out application and pay 50 GBP
Thingsbehindthesun

nina1on wrote:Sorry, where the information comes from that you dont need any papers and no fee to pay when you apply for Colet school? I also read on the web site that you just need to add the name of my son to the list for 11+....only to be told that I have to come personaly to the school and fill out application and pay 50 GBP
I have no personal experience with the school but their website mentioned the following:
No registration forms or fees are required at this stage: parents simply add their son's name to the 11+ examination list by contacting the Admissions Secretary (020 8746 5481) before the closing date of 23 November 2011. It is emphasised that boys are only accepted to Colet Court on the understanding that St Paul's is their first choice of senior school.
Perhaps they haven't updated this. :?
;D
Thingsbehindthesun

The link to that quote:

http://www.coletcourt.org.uk/admissions/joining-at-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;D
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Surprisingly, only 20% received offers from Kings, which excepting Westminster has become the hardest school to get into over the last few years - I don't know why but applications have soared.
Doingmybest. I guess that Kings is popular because of the amazing Head, Andrew Hall, ex Master of Magdalen College School, Oxford. He moved there about 4 years ago and is an amazing Head. A number of great teachers have followed him there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now