Qualifying for Sir William Borlase

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sedbergh15

Qualifying for Sir William Borlase

Post by sedbergh15 »

DD's results in and a success!!!
So she's done her bit, now for us to get her in particularly worrying as out of catchment.
Been trying for 8 months to sell and move from West Maidenhead to Marlow.
6.5 miles from SWB
What really are our chances??
SWB followed by Wycombe High and Beaconsfield High
Sally-Anne

Re: Qualifying for Sir William Borlase

Post by Sally-Anne »

Not brilliant based on past performance, I am afraid. Have you seen this?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Do the distance calculations for all schools and see where you get to.

Please also bear in mind that if you move between now and 1st March your DD will not be included in the first round of allocations on 1st March, but only in the second round roughly 5-6 weeks later. You might find that you have moved closer to SWB, only to languish on the waiting list, but by staying at your current address she would have received a place at WHS in the first round.

I hope that's clear - please ask if not! (It's been a long day, and tomorrow will probably be even longer. I thought the days got shorter as we approach the winter solstice, but evidently not! :lol:)
sedbergh15

Post by sedbergh15 »

Thanks Sally-Anne
Roll on March 1st......
sedbergh15

Post by sedbergh15 »

Wow got the email on the 2nd and not what we expected!!
DD got a place at BHS - we have missed our first choice SWB by.........46 metres!!!!!

SWB All applicants offered under rule 2 (catchment), rule 4 (siblings) and some allocated under rule 6 (distance) to 6.389 miles.
We are have been told by BCC that we are 6.418 miles, 0.029 miles (46.7m) out of admissions criteria!!!

We have accepted BHS and asked to be placed on the waiting list.
It does appear that every year the majority of schools extend their criteria. Based on our closeness to the current catchment criteria, we have a good chance of getting good news on April 20th??
Or are we missing something and the places that become available in the second round are offered to others that meet different criteria?
Is an appeal suitable or as posted in a previous message elsewhere - "I really wouldn't start to worry about an appeal yet though - the waiting list could well deliver a place long before then."
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No one can predict from year to year where the children who qualify will live and which school they will put first.

I would start thinking about an appeal - there's one obvious difference between the schools for example! Hopefully the second round will bring a place but you never know if late testers will live nearer than you do.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now