Bucks appeal 2011

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BulaTurtle

Bucks appeal 2011

Post by BulaTurtle »

My child scored 112/116. All test papers including school fam papers were results of 74/80, some higher and some a Little lower but not under 70/80. At least 2 years above her reading age, high average/ above average CAT scores, above average Math scores in Y3/Y4 and Y5. All indicators good but she crashed on tests. I would imagine nerves got the better of her as she is a reliable, mature, academic child and the results are not a reflection of her academic ability. No odd situations going on at school or home, just normal friendship issues. She is hardworking and head recommended 2/2 for GS. Worth an appeal?
Etienne

Re: Bucks appeal 2011

Post by Etienne »

Could you tell us what the CAT scores were?

Also, what were the KS1 results in year 2? - and are there any optional SATs results from year 5?
Etienne
BulaTurtle

Post by BulaTurtle »

CAT Scores Y5
Verbal SAS 116
Quantative 123
Non Verbal 109

CAT Scores Y3
Numerical 116
Verbal 117
Non-Verbal 110

No KS results are not applicable to school.

NFER Maths Assessment
Y4 113
Y5 111

Reading Age
Year 4 Chronological Age8:06 SS105 Reading Age 10.00
Year 5 Chronological Age 9.07 SS115 Reading Age 12.02

Thanks for prompt reply Etienne!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear BulaTurtle

I really wish I could be more encouraging. The year 5 reading age is very good, but I would be less than honest if I didn't say that the overall academic evidence at the moment isn't looking strong enough to me. An appeal panel is likely to want to see CAT scores (especially VR) of at least 121, preferably the mid-120s (to allow for any doubts about the fact that CATs are not directly comparable with the 11+).

Having said that, appeals can be unpredictable, and there's nothing to stop you appealing just to see what happens. To be fair to you, though, I wouldn't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily.
Etienne
BulaTurtle

Post by BulaTurtle »

Etienne, you were quite right! Our appeal was unsuccessful as our academic evidence was not good enough. The panel advised us that they were looking for exceptionally academic able children. Would you be able to shed any light on what this really means? we have friends who's children scored 120 with their final score, with better academic evidence than us and still did not win an appeal. Any thing you can offer would be appreciated as I just want to understand.
Woolford

Post by Woolford »

I will share with you our appeal experience last year ...

We appealed last year for our DS unsuccessfully on 120 & 118. I still believe a lot of it is luck of the day with your appeal panel. My DS friend from the same school appealed on less scores and with less academic evidence and the same HT recommendation and got through much to everybodys and the parents shock - they themselves even said it was unfair on our DS - as unlike our DS their DC was not even in the top sets at school!

Our DS had suffered with nerves during school exams all his school life, which was well documented - but had turned around in year 6. We believe for us this went against us at the hearing and is why we were unsuccessful, as the panel understood this, even saying that it was shocking and unfair that the school had not dealt with it earlier - BUT turned it around and stated "was it now the right time for him to go to a grammar school?" We immediately knew we were going to be unsuccessful and that they were implying his new found confidence could suffer in a grammar school environment (which we were worried about to be honest) and think that they were getting at him taking the 12+.

Luckily for us our DS is at a good secondary school, where he is happy and thriving. The 12+ was not an option as he narrowly escaped a Level 5 in his maths SATS and we were not prepared to appeal again for the right for him to take it - and he has no intention of moving school!

Our DS has had no confidence issues at his new school and he knows from teacher compliments he is one of the 'bright' children in the year - although believe me there are some very bright children - we have been told some children came to the school with Level 6 SATS - now that is where the system is unfair as they should surely be at grammar school - but it also reassures us that he is working with high ability children!

If I am 100% honest, I still look back and think "what if" .. but our child is happy and full of confidence now .. which is so important to us and like others have previously said "cream always rises to the top" and we believe and tell our DS that he will be proof of this one day!

One last thing ... Etienne - where can I find the appeal statics for last year ... so I can have a look and put to sleep my 11+ appeal thoughts once and for all!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Lovely to hear from you again, Woolford, and it's great to hear that your son is at a good secondary school, where he is happy and thriving.
Our DS had suffered with nerves during school exams all his school life, which was well documented - but had turned around in year 6. We believe for us this went against us at the hearing and is why we were unsuccessful
You may be right about this, but I suspect there were other factors in the decision too.
One last thing ... Etienne - where can I find the appeal statics for last year ... so I can have a look and put to sleep my 11+ appeal thoughts once and for all!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scroll down to (f)
BulaTurtle wrote:Etienne, you were quite right! Our appeal was unsuccessful as our academic evidence was not good enough. The panel advised us that they were looking for exceptionally academic able children.
I'm very sorry to hear your news.

I would quibble over their use of the word 'exceptionally' - but I assume they meant very academically able (not just above the expected level, but well above the expected level, with a wide range of evidence to support this).
Would you be able to shed any light on what this really means?
My thoughts on academic evidence and extenuating circumstances are set out in the Q&As. For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
we have friends who's children scored 120 with their final score, with better academic evidence than us and still did not win an appeal.
I'm very wary of judging other people's cases 2nd or 3rd hand when we rarely have the full picture.
See (b):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 84#p279384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My thought for the day: 'Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell and rose again.' :)
Etienne