Wolverhampton Girls High - What on earth takes 5 hours?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Turtlegirl

Wolverhampton Girls High - What on earth takes 5 hours?!

Post by Turtlegirl »

Just had the paperwork through from WGHS about next weekend's 11+ exam. The girls are there from 8.45am to 2.15pm. This seems like an awful long time for a 10 year old. They say there are 2 short breaks, so it seems like they must have nearly 5 hours of examinations! I don't think I sat exams for that length of time in a single day even when I took my university finals *flabbergasted face*

Does anyone know why they take so long?
resmum

Re: Wolverhampton Girls High - What on earth takes 5 hours?!

Post by resmum »

My daughter sat the test a few years ago but I think there are 4 papers - Eng, maths, verbal, non-verbal and each one takes an hour each. Add on time for allocating 500+ girls to the right classrooms, the admin for each test, toilet/refreshment breaks and I can imagine it can easily take 5 1/2 hours.

Just be thankful it's not you that has to do it!

Resmum
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

My dd is sitting the exam next week too and I was quite astonished when I first realised how long the exam was going to be, especially in comparison to Newport Girls. I have asked my dd whether she still wants to take it as I feel it is too long but she is still keen to have a go. Even though the test takes longer, I would imagine that it will give wgh a better idea of the childs ability??

All the very best to you and your dd.

Leonking x
pist

Post by pist »

At least they will all be in the same boat, so they will probably all be a bit tired near the end.
Good Luck to your dd.
KenR

Post by KenR »

The B/Ham KEHS independent entrance exam is over 2 days!
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

That's true, they will all be in the same boat. Glad it's not over two days. Good luck to everyone who looks on this forum and their children. It's such a shame that the children have to go through these tests. When I sat mine, it was taken at my own school so was more relaxed. We have made sure that my dd has not been put under pressure and also have played it down of her chance of getting a place at her preferred school which is Newport Girls. I know that the extra work at home, if nothing else, has given my dd more confidence and this has certainly become evident at school.

Shame that I feel so many children are put under so much pressure to prepare for these exams which in my opinion is really not necessary. My ds did test papers at home 8 weeks prior to the test and managed to gain a place at his gs and is now three years in and doing exceptionally well.

Leonking x
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Just reading through the paperwork and sorting out 'indoor trainers' (her normal trainers given a bit of a brush down) for tomorrow's exam. Definitely a quirky requirement, but maybe they have an indoor shoes rule for the whole school, like my secondary school did. Never seemed to actually be applied, mind.

Hope it goes well for your daughter LeonKing and for anyone else sitting tomorrow.
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

Never noticed - glad her cons are clean!! Good luck to your dd. I'm hoping the traffic is not too manic tomorrow!
:)
LeonKing

Post by LeonKing »

Thank you for your reply by the way Turtlegirl. Something tells me our dd's are going to be very tired after tomorrow!!

Just sending mine to bed now. All the very best.

Leonking x
ChessDadPlus

Post by ChessDadPlus »

Is the format the same or different for Sep 2012 exam?

Any guidance appreciated
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now