Scores 111 and 116 Bucks Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plushelp

Scores 111 and 116 Bucks Appeal

Post by 11plushelp »

Dear Sally-Anne and Etienne,

I am new here and found this site accidently by Internet search and felt like a godsend. My daughter scored 111 and 116 in the recent Bucks 11plus exam. It took a while for us to digest the results and I am unable to convince her. She is very emotional and full of tears for last 2 days.

She is above average child and a hard worker. Her predicted score at the end of y6 is 5A in maths, 5B in English reading and 5C in English writing. She had a mock test few weeks before and got 5B in her maths and English results are yet to come. I have a feeling that her Head Teacher and class teacher will support my appeal.

Three days before the exam (Friday afternoon) I had an accident at workplace as a result weekend I had severe pain and forced to attend out of hour emergency medical service on the night before the exam. As it was only me and my daughter at home, I couldn't leave her alone and taken her to hospital along with me thinking it will be a short visit and expected no queues as it was on Sunday night. But unfortunately there was a long wait and we could return only by 12 o'clock and her exam was on Monday morning 9.30am. She couldn't sleep well at night and was very tired in the morning. Also as the doctor advised me not to drive till I fully recover. We were totally upset as I was planning to drive her to exam from Milton Keynes to Aylesbury. I was panicking and managed to arrange a taxi to take her to exam centre and drop her back to home for both the exams. I couldn't go along with her as I had severe pain and stiff neck. My daughter was stressed out with all the last minute changes and very upset due to my injury and more over it was so happened to go with a stranger to the exam hall when all the kids came along with their parents / carers.

Please advise me whether I could go for appeal based on her academic ability and as well as this accident at work.

Many thanks for taking for your time in reading my message.

Regards,
11plushelp
Sally-Anne

Re: Scores 111 and 116 Bucks Appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi 11plushelp,

What a nightmare for you! I hope you have made a full recovery.

I think a panel will fully understand that your daughter will not have been at her best for the first paper, and as this was the out-of-county test I am sure you felt very alone in trying to decide what to do for the best.

Can I just check that the scores were in the order 111/116? Also, how did your daughter feel after each paper, and were they taken on Monday and Wednesday? Had you begun to recover by the second test?

Her SATs scores seem very encouraging, so please now read the Appeals Q&A http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; thoroughly if you have not already done so, talk to the Head, gather together as much academic evidence as you can and then come back to us.

When you see the Head, please check if s/he completed a Head Teacher's recommendation form in advance of the tests. Not all out-of-county Heads do so.

Sally-Anne
11plushelp

Post by 11plushelp »

Thanks Sally Anne for your immediate response.

Yes , you are right that the scores were in the order of 111 and 116. My daughter felt the first test was relatively easier than the second test but scored less. The exams were on Monday and Wednesday but I have started recovering after a weeks. For both the exams she went by a Taxi and she was so nervous about travelling such a long distance with a stranger to a strange location. It was her first time in a taxi alone. Also for the second test the taxi was arrived late, rushed to the test centre and she was dropped at the last moment. Poor girl didn't have any breathing time before the test. I felt so helpless...I shouldn't have put her in this situation.

By the way, first time I am hearing about head teacher's recommendations form. What is this form? Is it mandatory for all the OOC Kids? The predicted score was told by her class teacher during our last parent's meeting before the 11 plus exams. Are you referring this as "head teacher's recommendations form"?

Again many thanks Sally-Anne for your voluntary service and helping us out.

Regards,

11plushelp
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The headteacher's summary sheet can be seen here:
https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... anuals.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Click on the 5th download: Headteachers Appeal Summary Sheet - 2012)

This form is used within Bucks.

Headteachers outside of Bucks cannot be obliged to fill it in, but it's helpful if they are willing to do so!

PS: The actual recommendation (e.g. a '1', '2' or '3') is done advance of the 11+, but I don't think this would apply to schools outside of Bucks - unless they happen to be 'partner schools'.
Etienne
11plushelp

Post by 11plushelp »

Thank you Etienne.

Along with head teacher's summary form , should I also attempt to get a recommendation letter from her class teacher? or is it unnecessary?

Many thanks
regards,

11plushelp
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's a possibility, but in some schools it wouldn't be permitted because anything official has to go via the head.

I would have thought the vast majority of appeals come with just the headteacher's support - and, more often than not, it's probably the class teacher who's advising the head what to write! :)
Etienne
11plushelp

Post by 11plushelp »

Dear Sally-Anne and Etienne,

Today I was trying to meet my daughter's head teacher and /or class teacher but no luck as they were quite busy. The lady at the reception asked me what’s regarding and I briefly mentioned to her that it’s about 11plus appeal. She phoned me back and said the class teacher has agreed to issue a letter without a meeting!! But I said to her that the Head Teacher's form should be filled in. She was not aware of the form and asked me hand over a form tomorrow. But by looking at the form today I have realised that the mitigating circumstances also to be filled-in by the Head teacher. I haven't informed the school about extenuating circumstances faced by daughter just before the exam and I am not sure whether the head will be ready to fill-in all the details in the form without arranging a meeting with me. From the tone of the receptionist, I infer that the school doesn't aware of Head teacher's summary form etc.. as it is an OCC school and also they are not obliged to fill-in this form. But anyway I will hand over a form tomorrow and see what they will say about it.
Suppose if they only issue a letter confirming my daughter's predicted score at KS2, will it be sufficient enough for the appeal along with other evidence like letter from emergency care to confirm my injury and visit on the day before the exam and Taxi receipt. Please advise.

Thanks,

Regards,

11plus help
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

But by looking at the form today I have realised that the mitigating circumstances also to be filled-in by the Head teacher.
That section is there in case the headteacher was aware of any extenuating circumstances - and can perhaps comment on whether there was any noticeable effect on the child at school (especially where the circumstances are ongoing).
Suppose if they only issue a letter confirming my daughter's predicted score at KS2
It doesn't really matter whether the information is on the headteacher's summary sheet or in a letter. The important thing is that there should be as much academic evidence as possible.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Academic evidence matters more than the extenuating circumstances!
Etienne
11plushelp

Post by 11plushelp »

Today I have spoke the teacher and she is very supportive. Agreed to give a letter rather than filling out Head teacher form. She claims that the letter is more detailed than the form. Not sure whether appeal panel view on the same line?

Now I need to prepare a letter. Is there any sample appeal letter available online?

thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

She claims that the letter is more detailed than the form. Not sure whether appeal panel view on the same line?
Depends what the letter says! :)
The advantage of the form is that nothing relevant is likely to be overlooked.
If the letter goes into more detail (all of which is relevant), that should be fine.
Now I need to prepare a letter. Is there any sample appeal letter available online?
Have you seen the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now