feeling sick...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wizard

feeling sick...

Post by wizard »

Ok, DS has 11 days until his 11+. I have been quite proud of myself for holding it altogether despite some challenging moments. However I seem to have woken up this morning with a sick feeling in my stomach that I cant shake off and I cant get the 11+ out of my head.Other than resorting to wine before lunch, any successful tips others have used ?
katel

Re: feeling sick...

Post by katel »

Try to remember that it's not the end of the world if they don't pass. Bright well supported children do well anywhere, honestly.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Remember it's normal to worry but not when it becomes all we think about and we've all been there with the 11 plus and other things too. Sometimes the worry before is worse then what actually happens afterwards...you don't have a crystal ball so you don't know that everything may actually turn out fantastically !..just make sure you and your son has done everything you possibly can and then it's out of your control and you will just have to keep busy and try and put a positive spin on every worry that pops into your head. I found it helped to think about the worse case scenario and what I would do and then to come on here or talk it over with family/friends.You always find that someone will have a different way of thinking to you which may just help. :)
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

I know what you mean, i've been feeling the same as DD's entrance test is 3 weeks on Friday. I really can't wait until all the preparation is over.
Storm

Post by Storm »

How is your DS feeling? I ask because in the last year my DS has been given solos in concerts a few times and each time I suffer from terrible stage fright - feeling sick, literally shaking as he gets up on stage! While he has been totally confident and sang beautifully with no sign of nerves at all. Hope it's the same with the 11+ next year :) Good luck to your DS and everyone else taking the exam this year!
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Well, my case has been different since DW and me take turns at overfocusing on all this madness so we keep each other sane.

But we all know that children can pick on the stress and contagion may happen.

I recently went to an interview with DD and thought "what needs to happen will - and there are other options anyway". I am obviously far from a fatalist, but it did help in this instance. We made a few jokes, etc. I subsequently realised that DD had become a bit nervous with the interview since she was so keen. We got positive extremely feedback afterwards, so I cannot stop thinking that my relaxed attitude could only have have helped. Basically we did all we could, near make or break time, I thought best to relax a bit.

Of course DW and me were absolutely paranoid about preparation in the weeks before - although DD was shielded from it as much as possible!
wizard

Post by wizard »

Thanks for all your kind words. DS sat his 11+ on saturday. I managed to perk up last week so we both had a fairly relaxed last few days before the test. Now I join all those in the twilight zone until results day in March...
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Hope it all goes well for your Wizard. Our test is Friday, panicking now...
vasu

Post by vasu »

We have come to the tail end of the 11+ exams. But the last set of exams are like Godzilla....seemingly impossible to defeat! I wish I could give you any tips to relax. I wish I could give any tips to myself to relax!!! Till/To 1st March.....cheers!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.