Primary Maths Challenge

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Zeezeemum

Primary Maths Challenge

Post by Zeezeemum »

My year 6 DD took part in the Primary Maths challenge and I just wanted a bit more information about this.
Do all primary schools take part in this and if so what is the objective of this test? I know she scored 21/25 but I don't know whether this is poor, good or average and was wondering what is the expected level of scores across the board for this challenge and whether the schools use it to see whether they meet the National level in Maths.
mitasol

Re: Primary Maths Challenge

Post by mitasol »

There is a lot of information here about the Primary Maths Challenge. http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It looks like your DD was just one point away from going through to the finals. :D

Edit to add - I've just noticed 21 was last years figure so it may be different this year.
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

Thanks for the link/information Mitasol. Apparently this year, the score is 22 but my DD is very happy with her 'Gold' Certificate :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The PMC does not really link to the NC as the questions are more like puzzles and logic.

21/25 is a good score!
moved

Post by moved »

Next year she can enjoy the Junior maths challenge.
flicka

Post by flicka »

Hi, you can actually download old Primary and Junior and Senior Maths Challenge Papers, including the Finals, on their website. My DS did the PMC last year, but we also took a look at the ones for secondary schools, and perversely, they seemed easier! I know he preferred them to the PMC ones! But he is home educated and although home ed kids are allowed to do PMC, they're not allowed to do the Junior Challenge at home, sadly. He's still only Year 6 but we didn't get round to it this year, as last year he got a gold anyway.
Take a look at the website, because if your DC got 21, then he could well prefer the Junior Challenge papers too.
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Hello all,
I was looking through the treads and understood that schools have to register for these kind of exams.
looks like all schools don't do that.
Is there any centre where I can register and they can take the test.
many thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No you need to do it through your school. However it is cheap and very little work. Tell the school about the competition as they may not know!
Venus2010

Post by Venus2010 »

Hi Zeezeemum

21/25 is really very good score for your DD. In my DS's school only four children from top maths set scored above 20 in PMC.
wellprepared

Post by wellprepared »

Guest55 wrote:No you need to do it through your school. However it is cheap and very little work. Tell the school about the competition as they may not know!
Thanks a lot Guest55,
I will ask if my school if they can give this facility.
Are there any any other challenges in any other subjects.....like science.....
Please share if any body knows about it.....
Many thanks,
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now