Struggling With NVR

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Colourful-Rainbow

Struggling With NVR

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

Hi,

We live in Redbridge but I thought I'd post it here. DC is struggling with NVR questions. So far we used the GL Assessment papers which he has nearly finished but is really struggling with. He is finding the second pack and the last paper of the first pack very difficult and the test is in about 3 weeks. What other papers can we buy for practice that are just as difficult as the GL Assessment ones as we want to save the last few papers. How else could he improve in NVR? Also are there just 8 types in NVR? In the how to guide from GL Assessment only 8 types are covered but I am wondering if that is it?

Thanks for your time. :)
Alex

Re: Struggling With NVR

Post by Alex »

I think if your DC is struggling then it is best to go back to basics though I realise you have very little time. Have you used a "How to" book apart from the GL Assessment one? AE Tuition have 2 workbooks which build up the skills and if you skip the easy bits you could probably do it in a week. Having an acronym (not sure if I am using the right term here!) of the elements which may change can be helpful. Bond used SPANSS (Spotted Pyjamas And Nice Soft Slippers) to stand for Shape. Position, Angle, Number, Sides, Shading (if my memory serves me correctly) but you can make up your own.

There are not so many practice papers around for NVR as for VR and I think none are of comparable difficulty to the GL / Letts / NfER Nelson ones. AFN books are good but definitely easier; the downloadable papers on this site are also a bit easier but at least you can get them instantly and any practice helps. Have you tried actually doing some questions alongside your DC to teach them how to tackle them and what to look for.

I am not familiar with the Redbridge exams but think if NfER set the exams then you will be safe confining yourself to the types which occur in the GL Assessment/Letts papers.

Good Luck.
johnd

Re: Struggling With NVR

Post by johnd »

NVR is the killer isn't it!
I think Letts are similar to GL, in fact I think they may even be the older GL papers.
BOFA Elite (online) are pretty hard, although you have to do BOFA normal ones first.
Also, there is a mock exam coming up this weekend, which should be hard.