Colet Court :11+ Reasoning test / City London Boys CEM Exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Inga

Colet Court :11+ Reasoning test / City London Boys CEM Exam

Post by Inga »

Hi All,
Any ideas on how Reasoning test is set out at Colet Court, which practice papers are best for this school?

Did any DC sat CEM exam (set up by Durham University) at City London Boys School and what did they think of it?

Any help appreciated.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Colet Court :11+ Reasoning test / City London Boys CEM E

Post by DIY Mum »

Does City of London Boys use CEM assessment now for 11+?

I thought they set their own papers as indicated in their specimens? :?

In B'ham, CEM assessment is used widely for 11+ assessment. Lots of help provided at the B'ham site re: CEM style of assessment.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

City of London uses CEM for boys applying for financial support - 50min test next week. General entrance exams are 'traditional' format as per the sample papers on their website.
Inga

Post by Inga »

CEM is for Sponsorship awards, written exam to follow later.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Is it the CEM online test?
Inga

Post by Inga »

Yes Mike, it is computerised.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There's not a lot of feedback, I'm afraid, although if you do a seach of the whole forum you can find odd fragments here and there (CEM online tests are used by quite a few schools). I suspect computer tests go by in a bit of a blur and are forgotten as soon as they've looked at the next screen...

Mike
Inga

Post by Inga »

I have searched forum with odd bits here and there but it doesnt mention as what type of questions, difficulties...
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Try the demo of an online test on the CEM website (I think there's a link to it amongst discussions here somewhere - it's called GETINTU), and look on the Birmingham forum where there's a "sticky" with information about 11+ exam content over the last few years. Although the demo is very short you can see that the types of questions seem to be generally similar to the questions in a CEM written 11+ test.

As to "how difficult" - I understand it's what's known as an "adaptive" test: when your child answers correctly it increases the degree of difficulty, and when they get a question wrong it makes them a little easier until it gets a consistent assessment of your child's ability (I'm not sure if it ends the test at that point or carries on through a set number of questions). So the answer to "how difficult" is that no matter how clever your child, it will probably be just slightly more difficult than they feel comfortable with. Ed's Mum has said something about how her son found the experience, but if I remember correctly, when our son did a CEM online test he said it was very easy (which suggests to me that he got a lot wrong!).

Mike
Inga

Post by Inga »

Thanks Mike ,I will read previous comments.

Inga