Sunflower appeal - Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sunflower

Sunflower appeal - Bucks

Post by sunflower »

Unfortunately my DS did not qualify for a Buks GS. He is a brilliant child currently on a level 5 in both Maths and English but I feel that he has been penalised because of his age ( he is 11 years and 2 months) which I think is very unfair. I am still thinking whether if I should appeal or not as we are also OOC. I am also wondering whether he would qualify for a Berks GS.
Sunflower
hermanmunster

Re: Sunflower appeal - Bucks

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Sunflower - what scores did your son get? Have you read the appeals Q&A yet?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sunflower, are you aware that the Bucks 11plus is standardised for age so that no one is supposed to be disadvantaged for their age. Children born in each month are only compared to other children born in the same month, so approx 30% pass from each month. Having said that it is true that the older children generally have to score higher than the younger ones to achieve the same score, but I don't think, from what I have read that it would be much of an argument in an appeal.

I think the Slough 11plus was last weekend, but I could be wrong. Good luck if you decide to appeal.
scary mum
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Yes the Slough exam for out of borough children was Saturday and earlier if you are in borough. Has your son sat the Slough exam as well ? As scary mum says it is true that your child's score has been standardised for age, so you will need some alternate evidence of ability, for example CAT scores and your teacher/headteacher's support if you can get it. Have a read at the Q and As, and let us know how we can help, Etienne and Sally-Anne are wonderful. Good luck
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Just to point out, no child is ‘penalised’ for their age. Scores are compared to other children with the same birth month rather than those who are older or younger.

All the available evidence suggests that if this was not done then children who are old in their year would be at a significant advantage and consequently the GS would be full of older but not necessarily brighter children.
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

Rob Clark wrote:Just to point out, no child is ‘penalised’ for their age. Scores are compared to other children with the same birth month rather than those who are older or younger.
Hi, my child is September born and unfortunately did not achieve the qualifying score. He achieved 119 in both tests. Does that mean that his standardized score was affected by other september born childrens' scores in his class?

New Parent
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

What do you mean? The scores will be standardised across all the September born children taking the rest, not just the ones in your son's class - which presumably could be 2 or 3 children.
scary mum
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Yes, as scary says his scores will have been compared to the rest of the September-born children taking the test this year, whichever school they are currently at.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now