Anyone with experience of The Grange?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hedwigsmum

Anyone with experience of The Grange?

Post by hedwigsmum »

My son failed to to qualify for GS. We live in Aylesbury and have John Colet as our first preference. Unfortunately, we live just outside catchment, so may not get in. Our catchment school is The Grange. Does anyone have experience of this school? I'm hoping that someone can reassure me!!
Sally-Anne

Re: Anyone with experience of The Grange?

Post by Sally-Anne »

Moved to Bucks for a better response, hedwigsmum.

Hopefully someone will be able to reassure you! I am not up to speed with this particular school.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's a large school (1300+) which has had its ups and downs over the years.

Someone else may be better informed, but my understanding is that it's an improving school.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have just looked back at the number of first preferences for the Grange over the years. 3 years ago, 63 people placed it as first preference, 2 years ago the figure was 199 and last year it was 250. The Admission number is 240, so it is clearly becoming much more popular. Last year's Y7 had 236 pupils on the roll, so the school was very close to becoming oversubscribed.

Now that I think about it, I am fairly sure that I recall reading an article in the Times about it a couple of years ago. If I am right, a "super-Head" had been brought in to run the school, and she was completely turning it around. She doesn't appear to be there any longer, so perhaps she has moved on to another school with issues, but her legacy is still in place. Perhaps someone else might be able to confirm or deny that?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The HT of the Grange is Vince Murray who was DH at Waddesdon; people speak highly of the school. Please PM me for additional information.
hedwigsmum

Post by hedwigsmum »

Thanks for the replies. Feeling a little better.
If anyone else has experience of this school, I'll be grateful for any further feedback.
:D
purplepixie18

Post by purplepixie18 »

Recent Ofsted (November 2011) rates school as Good and improving. Excellent feedback from students, parents.
candy46

Post by candy46 »

I used to teach there........and survived!! No seriously, my friend still teaches there and it is so so much improved. The staff have always been lovely and many kids do well there, now it really seems to be thriving.