Tutoring....Affordability

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Tutoring....Affordability

Post by countrymum »

Hi have seen mucho talk on the subject of tutoring and the high cost and that perhaps it is only the wealthy that can afford such things. I am perhaps a little out of touch on how things work so apologies for any naivety that may comes across, we are certainly not rich ( infact I have a love of second hand stores and my children very much understand money and its true value ) and probably shall have to forgo some * luxury* if we decide to bring someone in. I have mentioned on another thread how utterly rubbish a DIY tutor I would make ( DIY was the route I had wanted to go down originally ) And I just think for me and DD, bringing someone in who is far more knowledgeable on this VR/NVR than I would be, is in DD's best interest. She copes well at school and I think a grammar education would suit her needs.

How much are tutor's £15/£20 an hour? How I see it is that the occasional hour she has would be money I would have spent elsewhere and would prefer it to be spent on a tutor, though am I being naive to this and does tutoring cost 100's even 1000s. Is it more the amount of tutoring a child has that gets expensive....I am very confused tbh, on the one hand I really didn't want to bring anyone in on the other I just thing maybe some little top up sessions wouldn't hurt. But affordability has to come into it.

I haven't even found any one yet, so we shall see.
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Tutoring....Affordability

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hello

I think you are from the same area as me. Tutors tend to be £20-25 a hour. However down south and in areas where there is fierce competition it can be £30/50/100 pounds a hour and they are fully booked up at those prices. There was an article in the mail about it a few months ago, there will prob be a link somewhere on the site. It was quite unbelievable.

Did you get any recommendations by the way?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =7&t=18507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here it is - it all got a bit heated from what I remember :D
scary mum
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:Hello

I think you are from the same area as me. Tutors tend to be £20-25 a hour. However down south and in areas where there is fierce competition it can be £30/50/100 pounds a hour and they are fully booked up at those prices. There was an article in the mail about it a few months ago, there will prob be a link somewhere on the site. It was quite unbelievable.

Did you get any recommendations by the way?
Hi TM :) Yes think we are, wow so a little more than I thought ( that'll be no tea for a month, hair unwashed, children with holes in their shoes and no wine!! :lol: ) All for the sake of a grammar education....No recomendations ( though again possibly being naive, if you had the best tutor and knew were up against others would you be prone to keep that information to yourself...) I am all sharing but I can understand maybe why. Pah!! Just getting ( perhaps too much) bogged down with this tutoring lark, certainly couldn't afford to chop and change different ones as I know some do if find some just aren't right for their child. So many children in my DD's school have been tutored from yrs 2/3/4 sometimes not just for Grammar but just to keep up there, and I have never wanted to go down this route...And am so very proud of how my DD has this real passion for learning and is working pretty much at a yr 6 level at yr 5 in many of her subjects. Though those VR/NVR tests have really :shock: me as I just don't think I would be a good DIY er, we have done a little together and she is like 'DUR mum don't you get it!!' and actually I don't. I just feel I am jumping on the bandwagon of everyone else and bringing in the good olde tutor....I know DD would cope well which ever school, and wonder why I am getting so hot and bothered about this grammar thing, almost tearful infact, cricky she wouldn't even take the exam till next year. Is it normal to get very emotional about this stuff....Already am thinking ah she is bright * sod it* can't be mithered with all this stress, she can go to the local ( and good ) comp.

Thanks
Last edited by countrymum on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

As said above, it depends on where you are. In my area (Essex) I know of tutors charging various amounts. A sixth former charging £15 per hour, teachers with only a few pupils charging £20 per hour for one-to-one and a couple of more formally organised set-ups where one-to-one tuition costs £40 for 45 mins/£50 per hour. Group tuition is also available at around £20 per hour. You also have to factor in the cost of materials. These can range from £7 a book up to £350 for a package including books and online resources.

Whoever you decide to go with, make sure you do your homework as to which materials are suitable for your area. Even tutors claiming impressive success rates could be using inappropriate practice materials.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

The average cost of tutors where I live is about £30 for an hour. Although I know a couple of people who mainly tutored themselves but saw a tutor two or three times over the course of their child's preparation to make sure they were on track.
Last edited by Fran17 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

scary mum wrote:http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =7&t=18507

Here it is - it all got a bit heated from what I remember :D
Thanks SM....
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

First-timer wrote:As said above, it depends on where you are. In my area (Essex) I know of tutors charging various amounts. A sixth former charging £15 per hour, teachers with only a few pupils charging £20 per hour for one-to-one and a couple of more formally organised set-ups where one-to-one tuition costs £40 for 45 mins/£50 per hour. Group tuition is also available at around £20 per hour. You also have to factor in the cost of materials. These can range from £7 a book up to £350 for a package including books and online resources.

Whoever you decide to go with, make sure you do your homework as to which materials are suitable for your area. Even tutors claiming impressive success rates could be using inappropriate practice materials.
Wow I had no idea would go into those kind of brackets....>>>>> off to hunt out a decent 6th former in my area :wink:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Fran17 wrote:The average cost of tutors where I live is about £30 for an hour. Although I know a couple of people who mainly tutored themselves but saw a tutor two or three times over the course of their child's preparation to make sure they were on track.
Thanks Fran, this is my way of thinking and kind of what I had planned, I think for my situation happy to pay a little more ph, but only have a handful of sessions...could this work? Is tutoring something you need little and often?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

will PM you when I get home from work. Got a few ideas.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now