11+ Bucks scores of 113/114 - should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tee

11+ Bucks scores of 113/114 - should I appeal?

Post by Tee »

Firstly I would like to say thank you to all the volunteers/parents for useful information on 11 plus as this has helped me greatly in the last few days :)

My ds found out on friday that he hasn't got the bucks marks of 121 for gs and he has been very upset especially since all his friends taking the VR have passed. I have briefly spoken to the ht who is supportive of appealing and willing to fill in the ht supporting form. I am seeing the ht tomorrow regarding further information about how the school can support us in the appeal process.

The primary school that my ds is at is an outstanding school but an ooc school. Will this have an impact on the ht evidence in any way?

My ds is very bright and he is in the top groups for maths, english and science. As far as I know he is working at level 5s but I will confirm this when I meet the ht. One of my concerns is that ds has got into trouble at school on a number of occasions as he has sometimes struggled with his social skills. Is this something that the ht needs to highlight in the evidence and how will it affect the evidence?

With regards extenuating circumstances, I don't think we have any reasons in particular apart from the fact he was very nervous and didn't sleep well that week (the test was in the shool half term). I assume that would have been the case for most children sitting the test. Although ds is very sensitive and does find it difficult to cope in a pressurised environment - again I guess this could be said about most children sitting the 11 plus.

I have read the Q&A section and found it very helpful so far. However, my concern is that as his scores are low, his chance of successful apeal is about 14%. Hence, from the advice on the forums I believe we will need strong academic evidence to support the appeal.

I believe the school don't share CATs scores and this years cats won't be until later in the year. So would school reports suffice?

Thank you very much for your time and effort in helping parents like myself who are going through a very stressful and anxious time at the moment.
Etienne

Re: 11+ Bucks scores of 113/114 - should I appeal?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
The primary school that my ds is at is an outstanding school but an ooc school. Will this have an impact on the ht evidence in any way?
My only concern would be whether he is familiar enough with the system to understand what is needed. The headteacher's summary sheet which I've mentioned in another thread shows the sort of questions that need to be addressed. He needs to choose his words carefully in the statement where he indicates strength of support (is his support exceptionally strong, with evidence to back it up?). He needs to avoid irrelevancies ('great on the games field, super classroom monitor'!)
One of my concerns is that ds has got into trouble at school on a number of occasions as he has sometimes struggled with his social skills. Is this something that the ht needs to highlight in the evidence and how will it affect the evidence?
Only if it explains underperformance (which could be very useful evidence).
Although ds is very sensitive and does find it difficult to cope in a pressurised environment - again I guess this could be said about most children sitting the 11 plus.
Is there any evidence that his sensitivity is so marked that it could genuinely have had a significant impact on performance? You would need the school's view for this.
my concern is that as his scores are low, his chance of successful apeal is about 14%. Hence, from the advice on the forums I believe we will need strong academic evidence to support the appeal. I believe the school don't share CATs scores and this years cats won't be until later in the year. So would school reports suffice?
I'm rather doubtful - Nothing correlates precisely with the 11+, so I always point to the need for as much and as wide a range of evidence as possible. You might want to consider the expense of an EP report (with no guarantee, of course, that it will come up with the results you want).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See also: B3
Thank you very much for your time and effort in helping parents like myself who are going through a very stressful and anxious time at the moment.
You're welcome! :)
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Thank you for your swift reply. I am seeing the ht this afternoon and want to make sure that I can get this message across to him about the wording on the form, however without sounding pushy or rude.

With regards the EP, I had considered that and did look up ones in the local area of which the nearest is about 20 miles away - I may ring EP depending on the what the school can provide as academic support. Do you have any recommendations for one locally? I can send my location details to you - I will send my location details via the appeals box.

Ds behaviour issues are a concern for the school as I had a meeting with his teacher who said that he is not achieving his potential because of this and her concern is that it will start to affect his academic performance - she explained that although he is very bright, his progression is slowing down because of this. I am worried that this may be seen as a problem in the appeal but I do believe that it is hindering his progress/performance in the 11 plus exam. When you say it may be useful evidence, is that something that the ht needs to word in a certain way on the appeal form and how can I approach the ht about this?

I am really worried about this whole process and at the same time wandering whether it is worth the chance of a disapointment second time round!

Once again thank you for your advice.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

How did your meeting go? I'm afraid I was away today, so haven't been able to respond before now.
Do you have any recommendations for one locally? I can send my location details to you - I will send my location details via the appeals box.
Thanks for that, but I'm afraid I'm not in a position to recommend an EP personally.
Ds behaviour issues are a concern for the school as I had a meeting with his teacher who said that he is not achieving his potential because of this and her concern is that it will start to affect his academic performance - she explained that although he is very bright, his progression is slowing down because of this. I am worried that this may be seen as a problem in the appeal but I do believe that it is hindering his progress/performance in the 11 plus exam. When you say it may be useful evidence, is that something that the ht needs to word in a certain way on the appeal form and how can I approach the ht about this?
I was just speculating about your son's behaviour and what might lie behind it. For example, some boys are very bright but because they find the work easy, they become bored and misbehave. Could this be your son? (To put it less diplomatically - the school is failing to stretch him!) It might explain why he is not doing even better at school - but I can't quite see why it would affect his 11+.

A different example would be a boy with aspergers tendencies. He is bright, but has poor social skills. He also dislikes changes in routine, so might not cope well with something like the 11+.

The panel will not mind in the slightest what your son's behaviour is like! It's not a matter for them. It only becomes an issue if there's some underlying cause which could have affected the 11+ result, and which would therefore strengthen your case.
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

Once again thanks for replying. I think I would be lost without the wonderful people on this forum. Yes I saw the head and he has given very supportive and carefully worded report and also mentioned that he sometimes fails to motivate himself and therefore not achieve full potential and therefore his output varies and has said that grammar school would help him with this.

He is putting all the grades for progress, SAts etc on the report and said will look at key stage 1 results also. We moved 280 miles and ds joined school in the year he did ks1 SAts. He had a very difficult year even though his grades were high!

His social skills are extremely weak and he is exceptionally bright however I don't have any reports/statements that support this. Maybe Ep report would be useful here?

Also do I need copies of school reports and SAts test results from school or will the fact ht put on report be enough?

Thank you again as I feel abit overwhelmed and not sure where I'm going with mountain of paperwork that I need to collate.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

His social skills are extremely weak and he is exceptionally bright however I don't have any reports/statements that support this. Maybe Ep report would be useful here?
It could be interesting to see what an EP comes up with.
Also do I need copies of school reports and SAts test results from school or will the fact ht put on report be enough?
I hope the HT would mention any SATs test results in what he writes.

Have a look at your son's year 5 report as this sometimes refers to optional SATs tests (depending on whether the school does them).

It would be worth giving the panel a copy of the year 5 report, especially if there's any mention of high achievement in the academic subjects.
Etienne
Tee

Post by Tee »

I have been busy trying to put the appeal paperwork together and once again I have a few questions. I have decided to get an ep report, however this report won't be available until the beginning of January. I understand that on the appeal form I can state that evidence will follow shortly after. The ht report will be ready on Monday hopefully so at this stage I will have ht report and year 5 school report. The year 5 report doesn't refer to any SATS tests or levels but just states the ds is above average in Maths, English and Science. It does refer to how 'he can produce good work when he works to his potential' and is 'beginning to develop a more mature attitude' and how the teacher is 'looking forward to ds concentrating for longer periods of time in year 6'. Not sure whether this is going to be helpful as evidence as this is similar to what the ht said he would put in his report about ds not always working to full potential.

My second question is, should I enclose an appeal letter with the yellow form along with the ht report/year 5 report or should I just state that 'evidence will follow' and send everything in together as soon as I get the ep report end of Dec/ beginning of Jan?

Thanks once again for all the advice and support offered on this forum as it has been invaluable in helping me to prepare for the appeal.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure whether this is going to be helpful as evidence as this is similar to what the ht said he would put in his report about ds not always working to full potential.
One hopes the panel will distinguish between ability/potential on the one hand, and attitude on the other! The first should be what matters. Panels do tend to be much more interested in the recommendation for academic potential.
My second question is, should I enclose an appeal letter with the yellow form along with the ht report/year 5 report or should I just state that 'evidence will follow' and send everything in together as soon as I get the ep report end of Dec/ beginning of Jan?
It's your choice - except that I think the Appeals Office will want the headteacher's report to accompany the appeal form.
Thanks once again for all the advice and support offered on this forum as it has been invaluable in helping me to prepare for the appeal.
You're very welcome! :)
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If you are concerned about the timing of receiving the EP report ahead of the deadline for final evidence for an appeal, you can make yourself "unavailable" on the appeal form for a week or two in January. Essentially, you can postpone your appeal to give you more time if you need it.

Once you have received the report you will need time to understand the results and to interpret them in the light of the 11+. You will then need to prepare your case, and submit your full evidence 10 working days before the appeal is heard.

Think about the timings and give yourself a little room for manouevre. If you submit a large body of evidence (such as an EP report) after the deadline for your appeal date, you could face an adjournment.
Tee

Post by Tee »

Thank you for your responses :)

I have another question regarding extenuating circumstance that I have sent to the appeals box.

Thanks