Last years report for Bucks appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sana15

Last years report for Bucks appeal?

Post by sana15 »

Hi is it necessary to send my DD year 5 report if the HM summary form has been filled?
Sally-Anne

Re: Last years report for appeal

Post by Sally-Anne »

A panel would probably like to see it, and might note the absence of it. Is it particularly poor?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you for your email to the Appeals Box. The extenuating circumstances are obviously very genuine, a panel will appreciate that and I do hope that matters improve soon.

It will all be down to academic evidence now. Please do ask any questions you wish to!
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Thank you for replying

In the ht summary she predicts 4a for English but in her comments says she will reach a level 5 at the end of year 6. Do have any realistic chance with the 4a?

Also currently and in her end of year exam she only on level 4s.
Should I include the report in the appeal letter?

My dd is bright and I personally do feel she will be fine in a grammar school. U feel our extenuating circumstances have effected her sats mocks too.

Her 11+ marks were 116/120

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

is it necessary to send my DD year 5 report if the HM summary form has been filled?
Just to add that, although most panels - if asked - would quite like to see a year 5 report, my experience was that a lot of parents (at least 50%?) didn't produce one. The reason for this was probably that they hadn't been told to do so (it's not a requirement), and they might well have taken the view that any information supplied by the headteacher for the appeal was the most up to date available.

You cannot be penalised for not providing a year 5 report. If it's a good report, however (and especially if it shows well above average ability in academic subjects), then it's very much in your interests to include it in your evidence.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Also currently and in her end of year exam she only on level 4s.
Should I include the report in the appeal letter?
I'm getting confused! - the optional (mock) SATs in the Appeals box are undated ("during this period"). I assume they are the same as the "end of year exam"? As they seem to show she was on target for level 5s (although not strong level 5s), I see no harm in letting the panel see them. Was the rest of the report positive?
My dd is bright and I personally do feel she will be fine in a grammar school.
Best to avoid assertions! :)
U feel our extenuating circumstances have effected her sats mocks too.
It's well worth putting to the panel that the extenuating circumstances could have affected the optional SATs. Do you have any hard evidence, though? For example, did she have straight 3s at KS1?

Anyway, it's well worth appealing with a 120 score!
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I forgot to add:
In the ht summary she predicts 4a for English but in her comments says she will reach a level 5 at the end of year 6. Do have any realistic chance with the 4a?
Based on the optional SATs in the Appeals box, I would have expected 5c in English & maths at the end of year 6.
Etienne
sana15

Post by sana15 »

My dd did mock sats in may and this October before half term.

Is it worth putting the extenuating circumstances in detail in the appeal letter or wait and explain to the panel?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

My dd did mock sats in may and this October before half term.
Difficult to advise without all the levels (including sub-levels) and precise dates ......
Is it worth putting the extenuating circumstances in detail in the appeal letter or wait and explain to the panel?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Personally I would just attach the evidence of extenuating circumstances to your appeal letter, and wait for the panel to ask you questions.
Etienne
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Thanks for your advice etienne

From your past experiencese do you think we have chance of winning the appeal as we don't want to get my hopes up to high.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now