Tiffin Exams to be brought forward?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2outof3

Tiffin Exams to be brought forward?

Post by 2outof3 »

Hi all,

I've just been eavesdropping on the Hertfordshire pages (must find something else to do when I'm at work :twisted: ) and there is a discussion of the new government admissions code that is currently going through consultation. The code currently applies to all academies (and so would apply to both the Tiffin schools) as well as other maintained schools and states that selective schools must:

"inform parents of the outcome of selection tests before parents make applications for other schools – while making clear that this does not equate to a guarantee of a selective place."

The code is due to come into force next year for entry in 2013.

This won't affect some of the Sutton schools as they already comply by advising parents of a pass or fail pre CAF time (though Sutton Grammar doesn't). It will, however, affect both the Tiffin schools as they will have to have their tests in September to comply with the new time line.

Apparently, the code will be compulsory, so no affected school will be able to opt out. There is talk on the Hertfordshire pages of some schools holding parts of their entrance exams in July :shock:

Just thought that anyone looking at 2013 entry (like me) should keep an eye on this as you may find you have two months less preparation time than you originally planned :?
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Exams to be brought forward?

Post by tiffinboys »

Thanks for the warning. Actually some children would prefer it this way as they might not have to sit for too many tests, as some dates would clash if schools have to complete the testing by September.

Also this may encourage some schools to join hands and take common exam. Could this herald the return of 11+ Common test?
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Yes, it might have some positive unintended consequences.

I'm not too clear about the details. Why would Tiffin have to do the exam in September, rather than November, as currently?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Fatbananas,

As the CAF has to be submitted by end of October, children would have to have sat the test and received results before that time. End of September/very early October would seem to be the latest feasible time to sit the test and allow enough time to get results out before the CAF is submitted. This would follow the timeline that Nonsuch, Wallington and Wilsons currently use.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There goes the summer holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Got it! Thanks 2outof3.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There goes the summer holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same as in Bucks and Kent. Mind yuin Bucks we still don't get our results until the end of November at the moment, but I guess that would have to change.
scary mum
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

2outof3 wrote:Fatbananas,

As the CAF has to be submitted by end of October, children would have to have sat the test and received results before that time. End of September/very early October would seem to be the latest feasible time to sit the test and allow enough time to get results out before the CAF is submitted. This would follow the timeline that Nonsuch, Wallington and Wilsons currently use.
The results also needs to be conveyed in a more meaningful manner. Merely telling the child has passed or failed or meets selective ability is not enough, as about three time number of children 'pass' the test than the available place. (Sutton grammar schools usually give such result). Meaningful result would be score and rank, which would give a better idea of probability of getting place.
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

tiffinboys wrote: The results also needs to be conveyed in a more meaningful manner. Merely telling the child has passed or failed or meets selective ability is not enough, as about three time number of children 'pass' the test than the available place. (Sutton grammar schools usually give such result). Meaningful result would be score and rank, which would give a better idea of probability of getting place.
Oh Hurrah. That would be so SO much better. Really helped us when Wallington did that back in the day. I also think, though am unsure, that under the freedom of information act they may be obliged to give out that information. But in any event it made the whole process significantly easier and I was gutted at the thought that we might not have that informatiion for DS2 this year. Can't come too soon for me!

And the whole dragging it out over a couple of months, not knowing if there is really any point in putting things on your form. It just drags the whole uncertainty out. A cluster of Exams would be so much better.
Overandout

Post by Overandout »

Tiffin Girls' website has the consultation document for next year's admissions and this states "The test will be in September 2012".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now