Emergency NVR prep

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nearly there

Emergency NVR prep

Post by nearly there »

We have (very belatedly) decided to try DD for a back-up indie which has VR and NVR in its assessments, which are in 4 weeks time. VR she is fine with, but no clue about NVR.
The school will not give more details but, but used the phrase "cognitive ability tests".

We are away visitng relatives for most of the Christmas holidays so can probably fit in only around 3 hours paper-based work (no computer access) a week for 4 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a "crash course" in 12 hours?! Neither my DD nor I have ever attempted NVR so some prep, however late, has got to be better than none at all.
bromley mum

Re: Emergency NVR prep

Post by bromley mum »

Have a look at "How to do Non verbal" books. They should give you some idea of what is involved.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi nearly there,

Firstly don't panic, I think you have enough time as NVR can be learned quite quickly.

The 11+ for our area doesn't include NVR, but DD also sat another 11+ for an adjacent area which included NVR and as this was a backup we didn't do too much NVR practice - she achieved full marks for the NVR paper.

The Bond "How To" book can be skimmed through within a few sessions and with the addition of some practice paper questions this should be a good grounding in a short time.

Good luck.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

if you are looking for a quick-fix solution to NVR then the best bet is to get hold of 1 test each of the different varieties available(though how you will do that without buying whole packs?? - will need probably need borrowing from friends, etc). Go through each type & do few of each - most children pick it up pretty fast. Timing will have to be very strict from the beginning to simulate the exam timings
johnd

Post by johnd »

Find out what the NVR flavour is in your area and just buy test papers and plug, plug away. Its mostly just practise. I think the following are quite good: GL, Bofa (online), Letts
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Many thanks for all your suggestions. We started the "how to" book and did some of NFER Paper 1:I then noticed the other thread about how hard this one was so was quite pleased with my DD who got 66-75% depending on the section. I can see how it's harder to really tutor for NVR, which for us is probably good as we started so late.
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Just popping back to say thanks for the advice and reassure any other late starters in NVR that it is possible to prepare for NVR pretty quickly.

My DD had approx 4 hours of prep plus 2 practice papers and managed to get one of only 5 scholarships to a competitive indie.

Having also gone through VR prep, I would say that for me and my DD , NVR is much much less time-consuming To prep for than VR.
Mob

Post by Mob »

nearly there wrote:Just popping back to say thanks for the advice and reassure any other late starters in NVR that it is possible to prepare for NVR pretty quickly.

My DD had approx 4 hours of prep plus 2 practice papers and managed to get one of only 5 scholarships to a competitive indie.

Having also gone through VR prep, I would say that for me and my DD , NVR is much much less time-consuming To prep for than VR.
Mob

Post by Mob »

Please can someone solve these for me . Completely stuck
GL non v pack 2
Paper6
Sec3q#8,9
Sec4q#3,13,14
Sec5q#5,6,12
Sec6q#6,7,9,11
Many thanks as little time left in exams . I really appreciate if some 1 can help
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now