inactive essex-redbridge thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tanner

inactive essex-redbridge thread

Post by tanner »

i have recently started looking at this section as dd has just finished her essex test on sat.now she is steering her prep towards redbridge test .having spent considerable time on the essex forum ,i have gained so much information which is simply priceless.with the test less than a month away,i am surprised to find not much information in this section .i've also noticed a query on the forum about the necessity of doing practice paper before the actual test(which didnt seem to get many replies).i was hoping if any of the moderators could kindly give us an up to date information on the redbridge test. which books are relevant esp for nvr.also what score should the dcs be aiming for?i've heard that the pass marks for woodford county were 91% last year.any help would be greatly appreciated.many thnx
saira7

Re: inactive essex-redbridge thread

Post by saira7 »

I would like to have the answers to the questions mentioned in tanner's msg so all moderators and members, please reply soon :( . I actually posted that question about non verbal practice papers but didn't have much luck with that so any replies are more then welcome :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The second post on the Redbridge secton of the forum is entitled "Recommended Materials for the Redbridge 11+". It contains a link which will take you to our bookshop and there are 3 pages of appropriate practice materials listed there.
tanner

Post by tanner »

thnx Sally-Anne!will check the recommended books in the epe bookshop.
saira7

Post by saira7 »

Thank you Sally Ann, for your reply,.... very helpful....
homeschooler

Post by homeschooler »

I haven't bothered much with this forum. I feel like there is such fierce competition and a desperate need for parents to get their kids into the grammar schools that people would rather keep themselves to themselves rather than share tips and other info. It's not that people aren't visiting the forum - each thread has at least over 100 views :shock: It's not just the forum i'm talking about and I don't mean to point fingers at anyone. It's outside in the community - people are unwilling to even share info on tutors.

I am really surprised at the intensity of the tuition that is being offered - kids need to be allowed to breathe and play. These years will never come back.

Just my twopence worth of course - each to their own :roll:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

homeschooler wrote:It's not that people aren't visiting the forum - each thread has at least over 100 views :shock:
If you look at the bottom of the forum homepage, where it says "Who is Online?" you will see beasties like these:

Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot],Google Feedfetcher, Majestic-12 [Bot]

These are search engine bots, robot programmes that search millions of webpages every day to track changes so that their search engines are up to date. Every time someone makes a post on here, the bots will find it and log it. As a result every thread can easily clock up 100 views very quickly.

And that is before the Moderators have checked the post as well, which might result in a lot of views in an area like Redbridge where controversy can strike at this time of year ...
johnd

Post by johnd »

I agree with you! Redbridge is so competitive that people keep to themselves and prefer to spend all their time on Amazon buying more test papers!
I set myself a target that I would never pay for extra tuition.
Now excuse me while I coerce the DS into just one more paper!!
saira7

Post by saira7 »

I honestly don't understand that how this attitude can increases their dcs' chances
of getting into a grammar school. Having said that I myself has experienced the secrecy from other parents
whom I've known since dd started her nursery :(
A good school does provide your child with better opportunities to learn and flourish.....agreed but not getting into one doesn't means your child's going to be a failure in life,isn't it? And above all, a child has to perform well wherever he/she goes so its not just a matter of getting into the 'one' but also being able to perform there as well.
So why this attitude????
homeschooler

Post by homeschooler »

saira7 wrote:I honestly don't understand that how this attitude can increases their dcs' chances
of getting into a grammar school. Having said that I myself has experienced the secrecy from other parents
whom I've known since dd started her nursery :(
A good school does provide your child with better opportunities to learn and flourish.....agreed but not getting into one doesn't means your child's going to be a failure in life,isn't it? And above all, a child has to perform well wherever he/she goes so its not just a matter of getting into the 'one' but also being able to perform there as well.
So why this attitude????

I agree with you. I think it's certain types of people that are more competitive than others. At the end of the day we as parents should support each other as we are all in the same boat. Yes, our children are competing with each other for the same places but overall it's not a competition.

I have found some very helpful people on this forum, it just happens not to be on here!

Anyway, it will be over on Monday, yay!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now