Torbay tutor advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
devonmum

Torbay tutor advice

Post by devonmum »

Hi - I did post this under Tutors some time ago but not had any response. Could anyone recommend a tutor in Paignton/Torbay please. I would be very, very grateful.
Thanks
raj2011

Re: Torbay tutor advice

Post by raj2011 »

Hi, I don't know of any tutors in your area but make sure that they are CRB checked and have a good track record. All the Best!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Devonmum

Hope someone can suggest a tutor for you and let you know by private message. It is more difficult to get responses for some LEAs as there aren't the people on the forum to advise!

have you any friends whose kids have already done the test? can they advise??

Good Luck!

H
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Hi Devonmum
I'm afraid I can't help with the name of a tutor, but I just wanted to ask if you've considered DIY?

The business of finding a good tutor who really understands the 11+ in your area seemed so difficult/ secretive to me that I decided to DIY and on the whole have really enjoyed it. Where I am (Exeter/ East Devon) some children I know have had up to 3 tutors :shock: (one each for English/ Maths /VR) but have still not made it through the test. A mum I know sent her child to a tutor for nearly a year but about a month before the test she realised that VR was included and the tutor had not been teaching it until that point!! Her DC did not qualify. DD's class teacher said that for many years she has watched Yr 6 children go through the 11+ and she believes the school (Colyton for us) is pretty good at selecting the right children, with the odd blip.

I don't want to scare you, but I don't think the tutor scene is as developed in Devon as, say, Bucks, so unless you have a recommendation from a friend or know the tutor has definitely been successful for the school you are applying for and fully understands the Devon 11+ tests, I would tread very carefully, particularly for VR, and perhaps consider DIY. Patricia's tips for VR are great; we didn't start in earnest until Easter of Yr 5 (but made sure times tables were up to scratch before then) and did nothing over the Summer hols. Maths I bought the CGP revision guide and went through each section to check DD understood it and did GL papers and Bond papers. When I got stuck, there was always someone on here I could ask to help out with the answer (Yoyo, Guest55 for Maths, Patricia, Sally-Anne for VR and many others- thanks guys!). English I left to the school TBH, as DD is confident at English anyway. From September we spent around 3 hours a week on 11+ prep. Approx 1.5 hours per week from Easter to July.

Of course, I don't know whether it has worked for my DD until March....!
devonmum

Post by devonmum »

Hi - thanks for your replies.

Nearlythere - that is good advice, thank you. At the moment I am DIYing though think I have a tutor sorted from Spring time... have heard of a few others out and about... but not ones that are highly recommended! Some are well into tutoring process already, but we are going to wait until Feb half term to start in earnest.. tests will be Oct/Nov next year.

Thanks again for your replies
devonmum

Post by devonmum »

Nearlythere - just seen your other post re admissions for 2013 in Torbay - tests earlier than expected :shock: but at least we should get indicative letter in October as to whether a place will be offered!
Storm

Post by Storm »

Hello Devonmum! I'm a fellow Torbay DIYer! Agree about the panic stations regarding the September tests! :shock: Although as My DS pointed out that's still several months off so plenty of time to prepare! Hope it's all going well for you and Your DC!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

A post has been removed as it attempted (indirectly) to solicit custom, and therefore breached our rules on advertising.

Genuine recommendations by PM only (private message) are acceptable - but beware of the possibility that someone who appears to be offering a recommendation may have a vested interest! Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'. (It's easy to report a possible problem: just click on the 'report button' - the red exclamation mark.)

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with caution. However, there are many long standing members (check the date of joining and number of posts) who make a valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Note also:
Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory

Institutional Course details can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-courses

Intensive Holiday Courses can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... ve-courses

Kind regards,

ForumAdmin
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now