Bucks 11+ Appeal Help we don't know the system!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JBall

Bucks 11+ Appeal Help we don't know the system!

Post by JBall »

Just found this website what a great tool, I hope someone can help with advice before a Bucks 11+ appeal because not being local it is all unknown. Basically I have been headhunted into a new job, which I started just last month (Nov 2011) requiring us to move to Bucks from Bristol, beforehand we had no plans to do so. As such my daughter very quickly registered and took 11+ exam despite never having prepared to take it, neither her or we had even seen an 11+ exam before then, or had any intention of taking one, so the only prep she had was the 2 example papers sent by Bucks themselves which she did at home. She only scored 105 but she effectively took the exam blind so we plan to appeal but wanted some advice on appeal preperation:

• Not being local (we have still not moved) we have no idea what kind of preparation is done locally, or considered normal and would this lack of preparation be taken into consideration? Can we appeal that she did not get a fair chance to demonstrate her capability due to the unplanned circumstances?
• We plan to appeal on the basis that she is currently working at 5b in SATS for both Maths and English, predicted 5a at end of the year, is this enough to show evidence of academic ability?
• Is it worth showing her current schools performance against national average to show she is achieving this in a below average school?
• She is an elite football player, signed to a professional academy and FA centre of excellence, is this worth mentioning as evidence of achievement, self-motivation?
• Lastly obviously she also has to deal with the news that she will be moving, so new primary school, not moving with friends to secondary school etc, and the family stress this is causing at the moment, and does this count as extenuating circumstances?

Thanks in advance
Etienne

Re: Bucks 11+ Appeal Help we don't know the system!

Post by Etienne »

would this lack of preparation be taken into consideration? Can we appeal that she did not get a fair chance to demonstrate her capability due to the unplanned circumstances?
Officially the only preparation required is the standard familiarisation and practice. Unofficially there is a lot of coaching and DIY locally, but this is unlikely to be a strong argument at appeal (especially where there's a shortfall of 16 points).
We plan to appeal on the basis that she is currently working at 5b in SATS for both Maths and English, predicted 5a at end of the year, is this enough to show evidence of academic ability?
It's good evidence, but we always advise that no one thing on its own is likely to be sufficient. Academic evidence needs to be as wide-ranging as possible.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it worth showing her current schools performance against national average to show she is achieving this in a below average school?
It might be worth just a brief mention.
She is an elite football player, signed to a professional academy and FA centre of excellence, is this worth mentioning as evidence of achievement, self-motivation?
I'm afraid not. The focus will be on academic ability and any extenuating circumstances.
Lastly obviously she also has to deal with the news that she will be moving, so new primary school, not moving with friends to secondary school etc, and the family stress this is causing at the moment, and does this count as extenuating circumstances?
Yes, especially if there is any evidence that she is a sensitive child.

I would be less than honest if I didn't say that you have an uphill struggle, and that the chances of success are likely to be limited.

It would be worth reading all the way through the Q&As (especially sections B & E) to see if you spot anything that may assist.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
JBall

Post by JBall »

Thank you for the swift reply, is there any other advice for children in this position of having to take the exam last minute, so a late transfer policy, or we have heard a little about the 12+?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Here is a link to Sally-Anne's excellent advice on the Bucks 12+ and 13+ via the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now