tax relief

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guest40

tax relief

Post by guest40 »

Does anyone out there know if you can get tax relief when you are using the private sector for education? Thanks
Nou

Post by Nou »

Most definitely not! Sorry!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Childcare vouchers might offer some help,

On April 6th 2005, the government introduced new childcare voucher legislation. This allowed both parents, (if employed and paying PAYE), to save Income Tax and National Insurance on registered or approved childcare. In the 2006-7 tax year the allowance is £55 per week, or £243.00 per month.

This means a significant saving per parent for the 2006-7 tax year of up to £962.28 per year for a 22% tax payer and £1195.56 per year for a 40% tax payer. The vouchers can be used for any form of childcare, from the ages of 0 - 15 (16 if disabled) years old, and can include but is not limited to nurseries, childminders, nannies, breakfast clubs, after school clubs and holiday clubs, providing the childcare is approved or registered.

stevew61
Nou

Post by Nou »

This is for "childcare" only - can't be used against school fees as such.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Nou wrote:This is for "childcare" only - can't be used against school fees as such.
I agree.

However if your school provides extended services it can be used for those. With a little creative accounting..............

stevew61
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

grandparents used to be able to covenenant money to grandchildren (under 18) and claim the tax back - the money could then be used for school fees. Not sure if this still happens.

Come to think about my father used to give me my University Grant money like that...
jen s

Post by jen s »

no loop holes left at all-and in a way nor should there be!!nursey vouchers are for that-any schools or parents found using creative accounting should be ashamed of themselves.Its a big decision to opt for a private education-we did it as we had to-but I would never expect it to be "subsidised" by the taxpayer.why should they pay?

Post by Guest »

jen s wrote:...but I would never expect it to be "subsidised" by the taxpayer.why should they pay?
Equally, I pay for my son to attend an independent school, why should I pay income tax that subsidises people to send children to state schools?
Gill

Post by Gill »

Well....many childless people also contribute to education in their taxes....all of our responsibility to educate the next generation. You, too could choose state education! :lol:
katel

Post by katel »

No - and why should you? It's bad enough that private schools still benefit shamefully from their charitable status without individuals getting tax breaks as well!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now