appeal against non-qualification

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gemma

Appeal non qualification

Post by gemma »

Have only just discovered this forum. Am going to appeal in just under two weeks for my daughter. Have been sooo impressed with this site, it has really helped to hear that I am not the only one going through this hellish experience. Very best of luck to everyone appealing/waiting to hear. I am dreading doing this, but like everyone here just want to do what is best for her. She was bullied at her previous school and we moved her in September 4 months before the test. She has done so well since and is like a different child but unfortunately, desite scoring well in vr and nvr she was short in maths. I really believe the problems she had before affected her result,but do not know if the panel will take this into consideration. Headmaster is so supportive but previous school (unsurprisingly ) is not. Any thoughts appreciated
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Gemma we also had to move school for Year 6 owing to bullying - you need to show how she was affected e.g. did you get help from anyone? I sent copies of some of the letters I had written to the first school and the fact that no reply had been received .....

Good Luck!
gemma

Post by gemma »

To Guest 55, Thanks for replying, School denied the problem and claimed the problem was with her or at home. They did however refer her to school councillor because she became so withdrawn and anxious. Since changing schools however, she is a million times better and has made amazing progress academically. How I wish I had moved her earlier, but didn't realize how bad it was until I secretly watched at playtime one day. She can talk about it now but could't at the time. Feel sure she would have passed otherwise. Our alternative is back with the bullies if this appeal fails. Sorry to hear of your experiences, hope things are better now!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes Gemma - although the change on school meant extra time for 11+ wasn't given [by mistake] and child narrowly missed qualifying score. Appeal not successful but child so much happier - got 3 level 5s and then reached 12+ qualifying in Year 7 and very happy in Grammar. Managed to steer clear of the bullies as we opted for outside catchment ...

I think referral to councillor is evidence ..
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Gemma,

Why don't you register to the site, it’s free, easy and you get no junk mail.
What’s more if you have any questions or want some advice you can do it confidentially through PM if that’s what you choose.

I wish you all the best on your appeal, it really isn't as bad as you anticipate.

Good luck..

AM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Gemma

An appeal panel will certainly take account of any bullying, especially if it was serious and can to some extent be substantiated.

However, the most important thing will be evidence of well-above average ability.

Try to spend at least as much time talking about academic matters as you do about the bullying.

Regards
Etienne
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Etienne - I have just received the school statement prior to my appeal in a couple of weeks time. It states under the 1998 School Standards and Framework Act admission of **** (my child) would be incompatible with selection under the admission arrangements and it would be unfair to the boys who have priority over ***** or those who are equal to him and would prejudice the provision of efficient education or the efficient use of rresources"

My question is is this standard? Do Governers' always state this at appeal?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Scooby

The site's spam protection occasionally picks up words that it thinks shouldn't be allowed, hence the ******! Provided you aren't posting anything that really isn't appropriate (and I am sure you are not) you can avoid the problem by leaving a space after the first letter of each word. Alternatively, just think of an different word for the same thing!

Sally-Anne
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

I think scooby had put in the **** for their childs name.

AM
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

hi just to clarify I did put the asteriks in as I don't want to print my child's name!!!!