Creative iMedia (Level 3 Certificate)

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

suzanne

Creative iMedia (Level 3 Certificate)

Post by suzanne »

Last edited by suzanne on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Re: Creative iMedia (Level 3 Certificate)

Post by scary mum »

It sounds really interesting to me and if she is doing plenty of traditional subjects, why not? Universities may not count it for much, but I don't know. DD's school did and ICT level 2 instead of the half GCSE they all did previously and I gave to say, it was rubbish! My DS age ten knows more about ict that she needed to know for that, but it was level 2, not 3.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Are you sure it is level 3 (A level) not level 2 (GCSE)?

I have heard that it does not have a particularly good reputation for Uni application.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Hi yes I checked - definitely level 3.

Although it might not be recognised by Universities this is what the ocr.org.uk website says:

The OCR Creative iMedia suite of qualifications provides candidates with high quality, industry-recognised qualifications. They are vocationally-related qualifications that provide valuable opportunities for individuals to develop skills and gain underpinning knowledge and understanding which will support entry into the Creative Media sector. They support achievement of Key Skills and relate to national occupational standards thereby providing an ideal progression to competence based qualifications once individuals are in suitable employment.

The aim of OCR's Creative iMedia qualifications is to recognise the application of a range of creative media user skills, knowledge and understanding. These qualifications provide increased flexibility and choice for learners and centres, allowing them the opportunity to use any method, or combination of methods, which clearly demonstrates that the learning outcomes and assessment criteria have been met by candidates.

The qualifications also allow contributing qualifications, for example iMedia, to be recognised towards the overall achievement of the qualification, building on individuals' previous achievements and learning.

The qualifications will allow for progression to and from OCR's existing portfolio of IT qualifications and will complement other vocational qualifications.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But it's a diploma and these are being phassed out as they have been singularly unsuccessful!

Remeber OCR are trying to 'sell' the product ... the syllabus also says it's not approved for 14 to 16.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

My DD is currently doing creative imedia and it is rubbish, the teacher keeps changing the work they are covering and she says its because she has received additional information from the exam board. Last year the exam was a fiasco with most girls failing to get even a pass because they were studying topics not covered in the final exam, consequently this is the last year that the school are doing it. I have told my DD to make it her lowest priority and concentrate on her GCSE's.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now