2011 year 7 grammar school entry

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

poiuyt

2011 year 7 grammar school entry

Post by poiuyt »

Amazing how quickly the first term of grammar school has flown by, only seems like yesterday opening results!

Just a post to share experiences, thoughts etc..

For DC has blossomed at grammar school, no regrets at the difficult decision to plump for grammar rather than indie route. I was a bit concerned at class sizes but tough teachers keep tight rein on the kids.

Regular homework with tough marking, seems bar is set high at this type of school.
Booklady

Re: 2011 year 7 grammar school entry

Post by Booklady »

My DD absolutely loves it and is flourishing! I can not believe how grown up, organised and independent she has become! She still loves her Mum and needs a hug now and then though (thank goodness :D )!!

Reports are excellent, no detentions received - yet, leading role in the house panto, and she is managing the homework etc really well. They do have high expectations - but thats no bad thing!

The only issue we had was a bit of bullying at the bus stop she passes (with her friend) on the way to catch her school bus. However we knew the child who was doing it, and which school she went to - so - phoned that school, told them, and they dealt with it instantly! No more issues!

Hated the whole 11+ thing - but the end results are worth it!

Just awaiting 2 years time when we start the whole thing again with her younger sister!! :roll: :roll:
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Judging from this years Maths and Physics sylabus, there are several flashbacks to the 11+ material I taught DC. Just shows how tough the 11+ test is for a 10/11 year old.
Amber

Post by Amber »

poiuyt wrote:Judging from this years Maths and Physics sylabus, there are several flashbacks to the 11+ material I taught DC. Just shows how tough the 11+ test is for a 10/11 year old.
Goodness, which area are you in that a.teaches Physics in Year 7 and b. includes KS3 Physics on the 11+ paper? And here was I thinking we were badly off here with our VR test!

Glad your DC is enjoying school though - surely the only really important thing at this stage. :D
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Physics, chemistry and biology from year 7; is this unusual from year 7?
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

I think I wasn't clear enough. Sorry, there are elements of maths taught for 11+ that are popping up in year 7 now.. Hope this is clear enough
Camphillian

Post by Camphillian »

Oh Poiuyt, what a give away. There you are on the Birmingham forum telling us the 11+ is a walk in the park, and now we find you here revealing that you tutored your DC and the 11+ was hard. How can we trust you again? :lol:
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Guilty as charged camphilin; have to be sensitive to all, it is the season alright! Now where is my mull wine, let's hope I can find my way out of the park with this staggered walk
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now