Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

descartesandsocrates

Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School

Post by descartesandsocrates »

If anyone needs help or information about Habs (11+, school life, et cetera), please do PM or reply to this message.

From a pupil in Yr 8, currently at the school
aargh

Re: Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School

Post by aargh »

Nice to see you have started a new thread and chucked out the bullies.
Merry Christmas descartesandsocrates.

Do tell me of Habs. What is the pastoral care like? Do they support and develop you as an individual?
Last edited by aargh on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Dear OP, may I suggest that you spend your Christmas eve having fun rather than being glued to the PC?

I'm only here because I have work to do :(
descartesandsocrates

Merry Christmas to you too, aargh.

Contrary to the rumours, Habs is really good in terms of pastoral care. All the pupils in my form found starting a new school very overwhelming. Habs was a very busy school and to some of us, it was a different experience. The first term (Winter) required hard-work and though at times I wasn't too comfortable about my year (as last year it was compulsory to do Rugby for a term but now it is optional for Year 7s after half-term), the school's support was helpful to us all.

The pastoral system has it that Year 7s start off in their House, where they have direct contact with their Housemaster and Form tutor. Since in their houses, they can participate in inter-house activities, et cetera, et cetera. Registration periods (lasting 30 - 40 minutes in all) is where we get to know the form tutor. For help, not only do we have the Form tutor but also the School Nurse, Councillor (who is a professional child psychiatrist), Senior prefect and our Head of Department (for Juniors it is Year 7 and 8).

Habs staff are really dedicated in marking and knowing you as a person, with many old Haberdashers' meeting up with teachers now and then. Habs really does support and develop you as an individual. I say this, getting a scholarship to the school (though that's not important), because when I started Year 7 there was a mixture of people, accounting quarter of my class from state school. Many of them were very talented but, of course, missed out on good education. The teachers were unbiased; they did not segregate you according to how well you did in exams, instead they worked on every single person's objectives and targets.

My last year's English teacher was one of the most influential teacher I have ever met (and the entire class' favourite teacher). She, being the reflection of many great teachers in the school, taught so everyone knew their strengths and weaknesses and operated so even if there are the very capable in English and the not-so-good in English, everyone worked well together. She specified, and so did many teachers, how hard-work is what teachers and society will respect rather than arrogance and worked one-to-one (there were many support clubs available). I struggled, as you may have noticed in previous messages, where I lacked much conciseness in my writing and she helped me improve on that, as well as the love of subject.

In Year 8, we are only set in Maths yet everyone does the same test paper. In Year 9, we will be set in Sciences, so forth. I think I found my identity at Habs and so did many others. Habs doesn't 'kick' people out, like what many cynical schools do for those who they think aren't good to hold their A* reputation for GCSEs. However, I think it's the pupils in my class which makes me enjoy Habs so much. I'll be honest to say there are some rude, unruly, sick-minded pupils in the school, like in many schools, but that's not the majority.

I'm going off to watch Uni Challenge, then Skyping a mate (Christmas Eve isn't too great - Christmas is definitely better!)

I'd like some more clarity on the question please, so I can specify.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Just the general feel was what I was after thanks because some schools don't turn out individuals. You have answered fine.

Hope you have more fun on Christmas day.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Those sick-minded pupils you've mentioned, Descartes...hope they don't bother you. Glad to hear that they are not the majority.

Merry XMas everyone... :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Many of them were very talented but, of course, missed out on good education.
Why do you assume that state educated pupils have 'missed out'? The ones I have taught have far outshone those from Private schools who have been spoon-fed. Many state schools are fantastic and there are some poor Private schools.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55, 'tis the season of goodwill ...

:D

Happy Christmas!
descartesandsocrates

Guest55 wrote:
Many of them were very talented but, of course, missed out on good education.
Why do you assume that state educated pupils have 'missed out'? The ones I have taught have far outshone those from Private schools who have been spoon-fed. Many state schools are fantastic and there are some poor Private schools.
I was met to mean some pupils (many state but also private) did miss out on education. There are many fantastic state schools and it really depends on whether you work hard or not, and inspiration (my relatives, for example, were at Nower Hill School, and are holding better jobs that other privately-educated relatives).
atapuria

Post by atapuria »

Hi,
Dear Habs student,

My son is to take the 11 plus exam for hans soon…any advice on the preparation please…

Thanks,