At risk of sounding ungrateful...suggestions please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

At risk of sounding ungrateful...suggestions please

Post by Amber »

I realise that this is slightly dodgy at a time of recession so I do apologise if it comes across as a spoilt brat posting.
Because of the line of work OH is in, every year we receive many gifts. Some of them are really lovely and all of them are thoughtful, but there really is a limit to the amount of chutney, biscuits, jam and Christmas tea we can get through. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions about what we could do with them - I am looking at several boxes of chocolates, lebkuchen and preserves, and wondering where to store them, knowing that we will not use them. Hs anyone found a solution to this? And apologies again if I sound ungrateful - we aren't, just a bit overwhelmed with it all.
Guest55

Re: At risk of sounding ungrateful...suggestions please

Post by Guest55 »

Local old people's home? Local food bank?

Alternatively your local vicar may know people who might welcome a 'christmas box' of such goodies.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Old people's day centre - they are struggling to keep going with the cuts.
vasu

Post by vasu »

There is a site called http://www.uk.freecycle.org/. It is brilliant. Maybe local Hospitals or Charity shops or homeless shelters. I usually ask my friends if they want any of my"gifts" and they ask me if I would like any of their surplus gifts :D and eventually it becomes a big old barter system :lol: I love dark truffels and pass on all the other kinds of chocolate to other friends and procure the dark truffles!!!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Trussell trust :

http://www.food-bank.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I'm surprised it's not crossed your mind to give it to those less fortunate. :?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

St George's Crypt if you are anywhere near Leeds, which I doubt. I have a connection to it and it does great work for ecovering drug addicts and others in need. Definitely day centres/homeless shelters etc.
scary mum
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

old people's homes, homeless shelters, local church soup *********, any other charity providing free food. There are even small groups of people who go out on different nights of the week into central London to hand out free food to the homeless throughout the year - ask your local church if there is a group in your area doing such things. There are always homeless people around Tower Bridge hanging around if you want to distribute food or adult clothes out yourself. I know this because my daughter was part of such a group before going off to uni.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

WFG - it did, hence her post on here. It can be difficult to know who truly deserves help and who is just shouting loudly sometimes. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Woops have posted twice but can't find delete button. Perhaps a helpful mod could delete this one, please? :oops:
Last edited by Amber on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now