Christmas television favourites

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fran17

Christmas television favourites

Post by Fran17 »

Did any of you manage to watch any television over Christmas. I wondered what your favourite programmes were. I loved watching Downton Abbey. I also enjoyed Bear's Wild Weekend with Miranda Hart and am looking forward to the next one. I have recorded Great Expectations and will probably watch it when I am doing the ironing later on this evening.
pheasantchick

Re: Christmas television favourites

Post by pheasantchick »

I loved Downton ( recorded and watched at a later date) also. On Christmas day, annoyingly fell asleep during Dr Who, but enjoyed the twists and turns in Eastenders.

Other hits for me included Lapland, Mrs Brown boys, the Borrowers.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

It was Doctor Who in our house and The Gruffalo's Child for the younger ones.

Downton was good, but I think my favourite was Great Expectations: they had to summarise parts and the ending was slightly different to the original but it was a good adaptation - it just could have done with a voiceover of Pip's thoughts imho
UmSusu
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Caught up on mock the week with frankie Boyle, queens speech was empty and lacking any substance (there goes the knighthood). Also loved kings speech. Great expectations not upto the usual high standard and undue emphasis on lovey dovey stuff!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Have enjoyed watching Downton Abbey and also Great Expectations. These are the only two programmes I've watched so far this Christmas but have recorded the Top Gear special which will probably watch tonight.
ahap

Post by ahap »

EastEnders, Strictly Come Dancing Christmas special, Top Gear Special,
Doctor Who, Gruffalo's child, Shrek (3rd).
My favourite is the Top Gear Special it was hilarious as well the way they were trying to get trade for the UK.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Eastenders for me, have recorded Downton and wil watch it first chance I get. Isn't it strange that everyone predicted Downton would beat Eastenders this year but could only manage a 4th place?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I was surprised Eastenders came out on top. However, If this forum is anything to go by,then Downton did win, as everyone recorded it to watch at a later date.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I wonder how many actually watched Eastenders rather than it simply being "on in the background"? Since the days of VHS I have always made a point of recording any good Christmas specials to watch later when there is less going on. Real popularity must be reflected in these recorded programmes as you only take the trouble to record something if you actually want to watch it - though I don't know if there is any way of differentiating between programmes that are being recorded or ones that simply happen to be "on".
Marylou
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Watched Top Gear last night (having recorded it) and was quite disappointed. I didn't think it was as good as previous Christmas specials and there seemed to be more 'staged' scenes than usual. Perhaps the producers are running out of ideas...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now