applying for sutton from wandsworth

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anxiousmum

applying for sutton from wandsworth

Post by anxiousmum »

We're thinking of getting our boy to sit entrance exams for Sutton schools. Does anybody out there know: is it at all possible for a boy to gain a place at a Sutton grammar from deepest Wandsworth? Or do they have to be super, alarmingly brainy?
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Hello there in deepest darkest Wandsworth

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
absolutely, everyone thought we were mad when we did but I am pleased to say that last week we were offered a place :D

It is not our local grammar,we are not in the 10km catchment area and we were not in the top 30. Had we lived in the area they said we would have been offered a place in the first round. So it is possible.
Best of luck

Jenny :D
anxiousmum

Post by anxiousmum »

Congratulations about the school place. I'll bet you're really thrilled. I'm excited to hear of your success because I've received the distinct impression that to enter the selection process, and from so far away, is an act of desperation and almost certain failure. It's really good to hear a 'yes'.

Were you the only people you knew who applied/were successful? Is it a weird, lonely, manic and intense experience to go through - for parents (I'll worry about the offspring later.). Is it worth it?

I've read some of this site and now have some general ideas about the selection process but do you have any particular advice about the Wandsworth -Sutton situation? Would you tell me a little about the 30, second round thing?

Thank you for replying. It's the first time I've done this on-line thing and it's on a subject I feel all alone, at sea and anxious about, so I'm extremely grateful for your reply and also instantly addicted to posting. Despite my newness, I already sense this is too long, with too many questions. Please forgive the faults of inexperience.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Anxious mum, this is the admission criteria for Sutton Boys Grammar copied from their website.

http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/ ... licy.shtml

If you are in the top 30 , wherever you live, be it France, you will be offered a place.:

How does the School determine which boys receive offers?

All boys deemed to be of selective ability on the basis of the Selection Test will be eligible for places at the School. In the event of the number of eligible applications exceeding the number of places available in the year, the following criteria will apply, in the order set out below, to decide which boys to admit:-

1. Children who are looked after by a local authority. Supporting evidence of the status will be required.
2. 30 places to the highest ranking boys in the Selection Test,
3. Rank order of the scores in the Selection Test for those boys who live within a circle of radius 10km, centred on the main entrance to Sutton Civic Offices
4. Rank order of the scores in the Selection Test for other eligible boys.

In the event of two or more boys scoring the same marks and where the admission of all would exceed the number of places available, places will be allocated by proximity of the boy’s home (measured in a straight line) to the main entrance of Sutton Civic Offices.

The second round refers to admissions from the waiting list if you don't meet the admisssion criteria.

Wilsons, I believe has no catchment area.

I hope this helps

Jenny :D
anxiousmum

applying to sutton from wandsworth

Post by anxiousmum »

Dear Jenny* - Thanks for replying. I hope you're still out there. It's taken me a while to get back because I have to fight my husband for access to the computer - he has a weird battle game he likes to play. Huh - what a sad addict he is. Not like me. I can handle it ....
I have another question for you, though I don't know if you can answer it: Is the VR and maths for Sutton anything like the Wandsworth test? I acknowledge that all I know about your location is that you reside more than 10km from Sutton, so this may be unanswerable.
Oh well, back to planning party games for my youngest's birthday. Hope to hear from you. 'bye.

*Or indeed anyone else who might be reading this and knows the answer.
jenny wren

Post by jenny wren »

Anxious mum

I can't answer your question, sorry. However pop into the thread 'Sutton grammar school for boys 'where I think the answer is.

Jenny :D :D
anxiousmum

applying to sutton from wandsworth

Post by anxiousmum »

Thank you for replying. I checked in the Sutton section and I saw what you did there - I was impressed. My skill in computers is limited to being amazed that I can access this forum.
I'm taking a break from downloading party games for the under fives and feeling really scared about being invaded by millions of of children on a sugar-rush tomorrow, so it was really nice finding your reply, even if you don't know.
usa

Post by usa »

anxiousmum
find out about their mock test they hold.
it is 15 pounds and you get the results almost immediately.
certainly worth giving the school a go. what about tiffin too? wilsons?
wallington boys is quite near the train station.
USA
anxiousmum

Applying to Sutton from Wandsworth

Post by anxiousmum »

Dear USA - Thank you. Bit tardy with the reply, I managed to drag myself away. I will go and do some research.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now