has anyone got up to date news on the 2012 exam in essex?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chelmsford dad

has anyone got up to date news on the 2012 exam in essex?

Post by chelmsford dad »

i heard somewhere it could be september :shock:
HPDad

Re: has anyone got up to date news on the 2012 exam in essex

Post by HPDad »

I don't think anything has been written in stone yet. The latest I have seen is from this document which recently popped up on the Essex County Council website:

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Education-Schoo ... 013-14.doc

If you scroll down to section 8, there is a proposed timetable which is showing that any selective tests will be taken in September.

The other interesting thing from this document is at 6.1.2 which seems to indicate that the number of choices on the CAF will be increased to 6.
aang

Post by aang »

Two other key points in the proposed 2013/14 timetable:

6.3.5. In respect of the four Essex selective schools the LA will communicate directly with the Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex (CSSE).

6.3.7. The Consortium of Selective Schools will provide the LA with the Order of Merit Lists for Essex Selective Schools by 4 January 2013.

My interpretation is that the 2012 exam results will have to be ready earlier than before, so either quicker marking or earlier testing. A student still has to go through CSSE registration and choose up to four schools in CSSE with a maximum of six secondary schools on form to Essex County Council
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Hi aang,

I think the 4 Essex selective schools referred to are the 4 Grammars within Essex rather than Southend Borough, ie: 2 Chelmsford and 2 Colchester.

Interestingly, apparently in the ChCHS letter regarding their change to admission policy, there is also reference to the 11+ being in September. A friend of mine rang the CSSE yesterday who said that they will not make a final decision about the 11+ date for 2012 until the government proposals have been passed at the end of Feb. However, they indicated that it would be towards the end of September if it is moved to September at all.

I know this is all 2nd hand info, but certainly food for thought. I feel sorry for the children in the counties who have moved their exams to the 8th Sept and some even earlier - not a lot of time to get out of summer holiday mode!
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Just found this interesting quote:

"Test dates: The CSSE selection tests will take place on Saturday 22 September 2012"

This was from the Southend Borough Council draft admissions arrangements for Sept 2013 admissions:

http://www.southend.gov.uk/downloads/do ... nsultation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was hidden away in the entry for Westcliff High for Girls.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

6.3.7. The Consortium of Selective Schools will provide the LA with the Order of Merit Lists for Essex Selective Schools by 4 January 2013.

If this is the case then how is the system meeting the changes the government wants. The point of moving the 11 plus forward is so results are known prior to completing the CAF rather than afterwards.
HPDad

Post by HPDad »

I do not think there is any significant change here from the existing system as regards CSSE informing the Local Authority. Looking at the Southend document again under Westcliff on page 42 there is an explanation of the new system informing parents.
When will I get the results?
The CSSE will post parents a letter, telling them the standardised score achieved by their child in the tests and whether or not their child has been assessed as suitable for grammar school, on 16 October 2012. The letter should arrive on 17 October. If parents registered online, they will also be sent an email after 4pm on 16 October 2012.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Hi Minesatea,

I read it to mean that the results are published in October before CAF forms have to be completed, but the CSSE give the RANKED list to the LA for them to actually allocate the schools in January.

Not sure I've made myself clear there!!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The CSSE will post parents a letter, telling them the standardised score achieved by their child in the tests and whether or not their child has been assessed as suitable for grammar school, on 16 October 2012.
Ok that makes more sense. However how are they going to judge suitability when at present in Essex there is no pass mark? Are the CSSE going to try to "guess" where the cut off is going to fall?
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

This is interesting - so your DC sits the exam 3rd week of September and the results will be known 4 weeks later. That is some change considering that they currently take over 4 months. Far better for everyone concerned as GCSE results do not take the current period of time !!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now