How to answer: "Is this your first choice of school?"

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tancred

How to answer: "Is this your first choice of school?"

Post by tancred »

My daughter has North London Consortium school interviews starting next week. I've read that the question "Is this your first choice of school?" may come up. If so, does anyone know whether the correct answer is "Yes, definitely, because ..." or "I'd be happy with any of the schools we've applied to, because ..." In other words, should my daughter lie (to all except her actual first choice)?
Apple10

Re: How to answer: "Is this your first choice of school?"

Post by Apple10 »

I don't know about your dd but I know mine would fine it extremely difficult to lie.
These schools know that all parents apply to multiple schools.
You may find that your dd gets herself into a terrible pickle if she lies once and then forgets to lie in any subsequent questions.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Interesting question for the children-some may not know which is their parents first choice for them. Unless you have talked it through at length about your strength of feeling for different schools perhaps best not to try and prepare them for that one and blissful ignorance may shine through. We (as parents) certainly got asked that when interviewed separately from our children and having muttered about all schools being good and being grateful for what we got first time round we realised this was absolutely the wrong answer for this school and gaily lied second time stating it was absolutely our number one first choice :D . Not North London consortium though
tancred

Post by tancred »

Thanks for your responses. I agree that it would be difficult for my daughter to lie, but I'm concerned that a school may not take us as seriously if we don't say that it's our first choice. What should she say?
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

Hi tancred,
dd was asked at Habs and nlcs what other exams she had written. She answered them completely truthfully reeling off all the grammar school tests and private she did. She got offers from both,so I don't think it makes a difference.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Interviews next week already? DD will have Group 2 exam next week...
As for the question, I will not advise to tell a lie. Children may have that uncomfortable look, when not telling the truth...though I know some natural liers and they are very good indeed.
I was five and travelled on reduced fare ticket on the train, and when I was asked how old am i, I truthfully said:"I am actually five, but my mum told me, if somebody ask how old are you, say you are still four..."
Back to OP, can parents be asked the same question? Or the questions about 11+ and did you apply to grammar school as well? what would you prefer-grammar or Indie? And what to wear for the interviews?
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

We were not asked if their school was our first choice but were asked why we chose to apply to their school,what attracted us to their school.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd was asked if she'd sat for other schools and she replied she had. She still got an offer :D
Scoopy19

Post by Scoopy19 »

My daughter was asked during the JAGS interview "out of all the schools you have applied for, what position is this school - there is no right and wrong answer".

My daughter truthfully answered 3rd but omitted to say that 1st and 2nd were grammar schools. I had told her to "be herself".
tancred

Post by tancred »

Thanks everyone for your replies. Scoopy19, did that reply go down ok?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now