Grammer School asking for more information

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Doodlesmum

Grammer School asking for more information

Post by Doodlesmum »

Daughter came home from school yesterday and told me that her and another girl who sat the 11 + exam were asked to fill out a form that the Grammer school had sent to the school. They wanted to know where they had been to school, what out of school activities they did and what they wanted to do when they left school. I am also assuming they asked the school for their grades etc.

Is this good or promising news or is this standard practice? Why would they need this information?
Amber

Re: Grammer School asking for more information

Post by Amber »

Is this a state school, and are you still waiting for the results of the 11+?
If the answer to those 2 questions is "yes", then this sounds mighty odd to me.
If it's an inde then anything goes - they can ask what colour pyjamas she wears if they like, but are probably more interested in how much you earn. And if she has already passed a state 11+, then maybe they are getting information together ready for Year 7, but that would be jolly early. If it is part of the selection process then it must be written in the admissions code for the school somewhere, but I was under the very strong impression that this kind of thing was not allowed.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I would check your daughter's version of events with the school and then ask them why they have consented to provide the information to the GS, and for what purpose the information was requested.

If the GS is using this information in any way as part of the selection process (and surely the suspicion must be that they are) it is totally illegal under the School Admissions Code.

If her current school has also provided information about her (such as grades) to a third party without your consent they are in breach of the Data Protection Act, and they may well also be in breach of the Act for having allowed your daughter, as a minor, to submit personal information to a third party without your consent.

A huge can of worms, and you definitely need to look into it. Please do let us know what you find out, because this sort of situation may become increasingly common as more schools become Academies and thus become their own Admission Authority.
Doodlesmum

Post by Doodlesmum »

I spoke to daughter's school yesterday and apparently what happened was that the Grammar School send out a form for every applicant as standard procedure. As the Teacher said, it was really the equvilent of a "reference" and the type of questions asked were grades and general behaviour.

To be fair, the Grammar School does state that the School could be contacted so we had agreed to this. It would be nice to have a copy of this though so I know what has been said about my daughter.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Doodlesmum, I am very uneasy about the school asking for this information prior to the 11+ test results being published. Asking for it once a child is confirmed as a future pupil, i.e. has accepted a place, would not be unreasonable, but to ask for it from every applicant in this blanket fashion before the test results are announced is worrying.

These are but a few quotes (there are more) from the Admissions Code which demonstrate why this gives rise to concern. Note that where the Admissions Code specifies "must not", the stricture has legal force:
1.52 admission authorities must not use either face-to-face interviews or interviews by telephone or other means.

1.78 Admission authorities must not use supplementary application or information forms that ask: ...

e) about parents’ or children’s interests, hobbies or membership of societies

1.89 Applications and any permitted supplementary forms must be completed by parents or carers or their representative. With the exception of applications from children for a school sixth form and applications from children above compulsory school age for a school place other than sixth form, admission authorities must not ask children to complete application forms for school places.

2.16 In setting oversubscription criteria admission authorities must not: ...

f ) take account of reports from previous schools about children’s past behaviour, attendance, attitude or achievement;
Please could you PM me with name of the GS so I can check their admissions policy? It would also be helpful if you could let me know the precise wording of the statement that was made to you about contacting the primary school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now