Shall I appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dalmation

Shall I appeal

Post by Dalmation »

Hi everyone, 1st post although have been reading for ages!!! My DD managed to get a Ribston score of 222 but only a HSFG score of 209. We have put Ribston as our 1st choice although her heart was really set on Denmark :-( just looking for opinions or advise really, shall we appeal come March or not??? Does anyone know of anybody that has got in to HSFG with a score of 1 under the pass mark???
Thanks in advance ***
Tolstoy

Re: Shall I appeal

Post by Tolstoy »

If you have plenty of evidence to show sound academic ability and possibly a couple of reasons for a slight dip in performance on the day I would say yes.

I don't know much about the girls schools sorry but for STRS which is the equivalent boys school the average CATs score is around 220.

One mark is a very small shortfall on the day especially when you look at how close some of the scoring is on the sticky at the top of this page. Also check out how many got in on appeal last year. It will give you a guide as to how much extra room there is in the year group.

Sorry can't help more but people will come out of the woodwork and start giving more comprehensive advice soon I am sure.
mum23*

Re: Shall I appeal

Post by mum23* »

hi and welcome

Other girls have got in on appeal to HSFG with less than your DD but it all depends on the year I think. Last year if my memory serves me right, not all passers got a place in the first allocation (whether they got in later I don't know but I guess they would take preference over non quals?)). If you feel you have strong evidence of ability and are really set on HSFG then it might be worth the effort. There is lots of advice on the appeals section. The downside is you have to wait to know what DD is doing come September but if you feel very strongly then have a try.

I have DDs at both schools and I have to say I prefer Ribston Hall. Don't want to start a comparison debate though!! Both good schools so you are in a great position.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now