Results of KS2 SATs

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sj355

Results of KS2 SATs

Post by sj355 »

Just for info:

Marked scripts of Year 6 KS2 SATs will be returned to schools by 10 July 2007 along with the test results for each pupil. Level thresholds tables for the 2007 tests will be available to download from 25th June 2007 at:

http://www.naa.org.uk/tests
sj355
jah

Post by jah »

When year 10 daughter did KS2 SATs, teachers at her school were able to identify where she should have got extra marks. This led to remarking and she was moved from a level 4 to level 5 for English.

Markers aren't infallible. When I was in 4th year, I remember my best friend being very disappointed with her history exam mark. When she got the paper back, the teacher had failed to mark the last 1 and a half questions!! It was only an internal exam, so the papers hadn't been checked by any one else.

Post by Guest »

My son got a Level 4 in Maths when he was predicted Level 5. The teacher took a closer look at his paper because it was a weak Level 4 and she wanted to know where he'd gone wrong. She found that the marks had not been added up properly! The school appealed and he got a Level 5.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The markers are paid per script [and not very much!] so there is pressure to get them done quickly - all schools should check adding up on papers.

It's good preactice to let the children see their strengths and areas they need to develop - some send them home.
katel

Post by katel »

Why does it matter? SATS are to test the school, not the child.
jah

Post by jah »

It may be the case that SATs test the school; but if a child has been told that they are expected to get a 5 and they get a 4, they will be disappointed.
loulou

Post by loulou »

Why does it matter? SATS are to test the school, not the child.
Its absolutely true that SATS are designed as a test of the schools ability to educate a child but many (although not all) secondary schools use SATS to stream children. This potentially impacts upon a childs education in the first couple of years at secondary and could influence the level at which they sit KS3 papers in year 9. ie. a bright child who was only allocated level 4 maths at KS2 (perhaps owing to poor marking) may find themselves only allowed to sit maths at level 4-6 rather than 5-7. Unfortunate I know but this has been known to happen in some secondary schools.
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

I find it a worry to think a child will be streamed at the start of their senior school depending on thier KS2 results which may lead to them sitting an incorrect level in a test later on. I would have thought there would be on going assessments to decide what level better suits them. This forum has plenty of examples of children who did well at one stage and therefore predicted to do well in the 11+ who didn't and of children who were deemed to not be 11+ material who did well in the tests. Change of school environment can bring out the best in one child while may cause another to not acheive as well as expected. Children all mature at different rates and this must also be a factor. Are there not a number of things that can affect how children progress and should there not be the possiblity of movement between streams during the time a child goes through the system.
loulou

Post by loulou »

I completely agree A mum and would never have believed it happened if I hadn't come across a couple of examples from other parents recently.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Guest55 wrote:The markers are paid per script [and not very much!] so there is pressure to get them done quickly - all schools should check adding up on papers.
Very true. The QCA asks the schools to check the scripts for numerical and other clerical errors and to report those by the 20th July. I think this is a sensible precaution
It's good preactice to let the children see their strengths and areas they need to develop - some send them home.
I think this is good practice that ought to be imitated by all schools
sj355
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now