Could you please help with our Bucks appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Harrison

Could you please help with our Bucks appeal?

Post by Harrison »

Dear Experienced Forum,
My DS got 115/118 in his bucks 11+. The school is backing us in an appeal. Sadly I only logged in to your site as a member last night and discovered all the reams of extra help there is there. I wish I'd been brave enough to register earlier.
Would it be possible for me to send you a copy of our planned speach as it sums up our situation and I have so many questions about it I don't know where to start? how do I do this?
I am in such a massive panic that sleeping and eating is now hard.....our appeal hearing is this week!
Many thanks
Last edited by Harrison on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrison

Re: Help with Appeal

Post by Harrison »

I have just discovered your AppealsBox and have sent you a message.
I am not sure to what extent we should mention the extenuating circumstances (other than nervousness), as we did not think to put them in a sealed letter to the school prior to the test, and hence the school would not mention them on their form....even though they were aware why the children needed time off in September! We also wonder if it is better for the appeal members to question us about it, rather than us mention it all up front?
Many thanks
Etienne

Re: help with appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

To answer your question, I do think your extenuating circumstances are much too lengthy, and would suggest no more than a sentence or two on each. Then let the panel ask for more information if they want it.

You could just mention that the school knew the reason why an absence from school was necessary. (I'm not sure a comment from the school would have added much, because the issue is not so much what happened, but what was the effect on the child?)

I see no advantage in discussing school council, sport, and social life. It has no relevance to a selection appeal.

The academic evidence you mention looks good! - and that is what will determine the outcome of your appeal.
Etienne
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Thanks Etienne for your response. We are looking at a non-qualification appeal, do you think the social side is still not important to mention?

With respect to grades, obviously we will emphasise the good ones, but at the end of year 5 his writing SATs was a 4c and hence the school have only predicted a 4/5 for end KS2. This is in the school's report for the appeal but are we wise not to mention this unless they ask about it? And if they ask about it, is it likely to be a sticking point? I am not sure how to answer a question about it, except that he is one of the youngest in the year. Do you have any suggestions?

Also in the ed psych report, although his verbal and non verbal scores were good, his spatial scores were low (27th and 79th percentile). We wanted to be open and honest and show all results, but I am worried that they will focus on this. If asked, what is the best way not to get hung up on his spacial results?

Thanks again for your advice.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Could you tell me what GCA result the EP came up with?
Etienne
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Actually, Etienne, the EP did not give us a GCA result. I am guessing this is an overall grade? Should we go back and ask him for one?
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Also, should we take his year 5 school report along. Though the results are good, some comments like 'sometimes lacks pace' might not help. I dont plan to offer it, but if they ask to see it are we better off giving it to them? Or if we conveniently leave it at home are they going to suspect the worst, which is probably worse than it actually is?!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I am guessing this is an overall grade?
Yes - but don't worry. If there isn't one for the panel to look at, it's not going to be an issue.
We are looking at a non-qualification appeal
Precisely!
do you think the social side is still not important to mention?
Look at the yellow booklet you were sent by Appeals. It should mention the importance of academic evidence and extenuating circumstances as criteria. I'm quite sure it doesn't mention the social side as a criterion for qualified status!

It's just possible someone on the panel will ask about outside interests - in which case you're free to answer. Ideally, though, they'd rather hear about academic interests such as grade 5 music, membership of MENSA, chess champion ....... ! :)
the school have only predicted a 4/5 for end KS2. This is in the school's report for the appeal but are we wise not to mention this unless they ask about it? And if they ask about it, is it likely to be a sticking point?
It is a bit of a problem. The panel are sure to spot it, so I think you ought to start by raising the issue yourself and confronting it head on. "Typical boy ...... young for his year group ........ the school have left the door open for a level 5 ...... he is maturing."

I would then move on to suggest that any weakness in writing is outweighed by some significant strengths elsewhere!
also in the ed psych report, although his verbal and non verbal scores were good, his spatial scores were low (27th and 79th percentile). We wanted to be open and honest and show all results, but I am worried that they will focus on this. If asked, what is the best way not to get hung up on his spacial results?
I'd be surprised if the panel got hung up on this, but one can never be sure. I think the way to present the EP report is to suggest to the panel that, if VR is the main criterion for the 11+, would they please take into account the alternative evidence of the 99th and 96th percentiles in the verbal battery of tests.
Also, should we take his year 5 school report along. Though the results are good, some comments like 'sometimes lacks pace' might not help. I dont plan to offer it, but if they ask to see it are we better off giving it to them? Or if we conveniently leave it at home are they going to suspect the worst
It's possible they might ask if you've brought a school report or exercise books with you - but just as a matter of routine. They won't think the worst if you say 'No'. There's no requirement for you to show a year 5 report, and you shouldn't do so if it weakens your case.
Etienne
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

EP will email us the GCA today. Will post as soon as I can....
Last edited by Harrison on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

GCA Score: 126
Category/Range: High
Percentile: 96
Is that good/worth mentioning?