Cello

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Cello

Post by Looking for help »

My son has grown too big for his 3/4 sized cello, and we have been advised to get him a full sized one. It's not his main instrument, and he's at grade 3 at the moment. I've had a look on-line and there is a wide range of instruments at varying prices.

Can anyone recommend a make and how much we should be paying ? (gulp)

Can anyone also recommend a good shop for such things in the Berkshire/Surrey area as I don't really want to buy on-line without seeing the thing first.?

Thank you
cindrella

Re: Cello

Post by cindrella »

Sorry, LFH don't know much about that. I do know that you could get a good second hand one or even hire it (If it is not something DC will want to pursue) because some of my friends did that for some other instrument! They can cost antwhere between £350 -£500 to own a new one.

http://musiced.about.com/od/buyingguide/bb/buycello.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cinderella
Looking for help

Thank you Cindrella, we did hire his first one through his school, as we weren't sure he would stick at it, but they don't have any full sized ones. :( so we need to find a new one (or a second hand one )
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Can you not speak to the County Music dept as they may be able to guide you and even help you to buy one VAT free? It could be worth having a check. You can also have a look at the ABRSM online forum in the strings section and post a question - you are bound to get more advice and may even "speak" to someone in your local area who can better advise you.
Looking for help

Oh that's a good idea, sportsmum, I will have a look at the ABRSM forum.
I did try to make sense of the county VAT free purchase scheme, but it seemed very complicated :oops:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I don't know anything about cellos but I would say that a good second hand one is better than a cheap new one. If you had a budget of £500 then I would suggest buying a second hand one for that price and not a new one. Instruments, up to a point, often sound better with age.
Looking for help

True, I know, but where do I source one? I don't want to buy on-line, and I haven't a clue about choosing a cello, hence my question.

The only think I know is not to get one that is laminated. The only shops near me seem to be selling them at £2000 and don't really think he's committed enough to warrant that sort of cost. Also, he's the only one in the family likely to play it.

I'd have thought though that £500 would get you a pretty decent new one, or do I live in cloud cuckoo land :lol: ?
Waiting_For_Godot

I think £500 is still quite a lot. Is his music a hobby? Can you see him wanting a career in music, does he practice a lot? If yes to the first and no to the second two then I'd be looking for a cheap cello.
Waiting_For_Godot

I typed in cellos £500 and this website popped up:

http://www.violinvaluations.com/cello-500.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looking for help

Thanks WFG - I never thought of that :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now