What do we make of the proposed child benefit adjustment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
outofboroughmum

What do we make of the proposed child benefit adjustment?

Post by outofboroughmum »

What do we make of the child benefit proposal? Though small, it goes a long a way. One person working is quite bad enough. With no jobs out there, this will be quite hard or what do you think?

OOBmum
poiuyt

Re: What do we make of the proposed child benefit adjustment

Post by poiuyt »

Another example of taking from the successful and giving to the 'Poor'....Absolutely outraged
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

What proposal has been made? I heard the cuts are still going ahead.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I don't think the proposed changes are very fair at all. One family could have a joint income of, say, £75,000 and receive the benefit whilst another family earning £45,000 will receive nothing! This is all because one person is a higher rate tax payer in the household.

I think the person receiving the benefit should be assessed for eligibility. In other words, if that person is a higher rate tax payer, then they don't get the benefit. If they're not, they should regardless of what their partner may be earning.

Many families will be penalised because of this threshold whilst others better off will still benefit. Where is the logic in that? I must be missing something here.

Of course, these are only my views and I am sure that other people will beg to differ! :)
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

I'm a single parent (just) higher rate tax payer. With this, together with the removal of tax credits and increased mortgage costs, (and static salary for 3 years) I can no longer afford my son's indie school fees. So the tax payer will now be reponsible for paying for him - and many others in the same situation so the so called savings will cost the country more.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I can't understand the problem they have with means-testing of households. They seem to manage it for everything else - especially student loans and grants!
Marylou
outofboroughmum

Post by outofboroughmum »

I thought this was just me. I don't see what good this will do except put marriages under unnecessary strain. People wanting to separate as they might be better off which in turn will put the housing sector under more strain? Both parents under pressure to go out and work which makes kids less better off. I am of the opinion that the country will lose more than it can hope to gain by this cut. Or what?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

They also seemed to be able to assess people's income when it came to child tax credits so I too don't understand why they can't do the same now.

We too are in the same position as faitaccompli (except we luckily don't have indie fees to pay - but nearly did :shock: ) single income, etc, etc. Yet I know of loads of double income families earning 70/80 thousand between them and they STILL qualify for the child benefit. How anyone in their right mind can say this is fair defeats me, it really does.

It's not so much that I don't want the benefit withdrawn for higher rate tax payers, I know cuts have to be made somewhere and we all have to pull together (although people usually base their spendings on their income and to whip all this from under their feet when so many people are committed to outgoings truly isn't fair) but I think it might work more fairly if they assess the income of the family and take it away from ALL those families earning over a certain amount (I dunno, say £75,000 - it could be any figure really). I wonder if in that way they'd actually save more money?

Or perhaps to be fairer they withdraw the benefit from future parents over a certain wage bracket thereby continue paying those already qualified for it.

It's certainly a tricky one and someone, somewhere will feel hard done by that's for sure!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

And while we're at it, I really can't see why childcare is paid for out of taxed income - a particular bugbear of mine!
scary mum
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

I never use the police, fire or ambulance service. Didnt ask army to invade other cultures country etc. Can chuck all my rubbish in recycling centre and so on and on and on....Yet me and OH are taxed to the hilt, what do we get back in return in terms of tax return, sweet Football Association. It wont be long before we have our own saxon spring here..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now