Can we avoid stereotypes please?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Can we avoid stereotypes please?

Post by Guest55 »

I am really NOT enjoying some of the recent threads.

Can we all not accept that one of the joys of being human is our differences and leave it at that please?

:D
Amber

Re: Can we avoid stereotypes please?

Post by Amber »

I will second that. Though I have taken part in some of these threads, I hope I have not been responsible for perpetuating or peddling stereotypes. I for one am not interested in what other nationals do in bed and with whom; nor do I think that one's nationality determines whether one's children are clever or well behaved, or whether they have nice manners or not. Though I do have a very deep interest in international education systems; and a passion for issues around early childhood too, so a debate on whether one should 'push' one's children, and what age they start school and why, is always interesting to me.
Camphillian

Post by Camphillian »

Agreed. And let's not forget that the parents in the original programme must have volunteered to seek that kind of attention, and had therefore signed up to being criticised or applauded for the choices they had made in bringing up their children.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

on the other hand these threads are on the everything else folder, and every now and then a comment will be made that could change perceptions etc..This is what being in a democracy and freedom of speech is all about, isn't it?
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Too late. We moved on to stereotyping the Amish in the other thread :-)

A famous TV chef was doing a program in China where he was offerred dog meat to eat. The next morning this was the topic of conversation at the coffee machine. One English girl labelled it as 'barbaric' that Chinese people would eat dog meat.

I pointed out that a) it is only common in the countryside and only among people of my father's generation and that today's generation is more interested in McDonalds and b) it is no more 'barbaric' than the English eating cute furry little bunny wabbits (sic) or little lambs. And don't get me started on tripe, haggis and pigs and what they eat :-)

My words of enlightenment fell on deaf (ignorant) ears but hopefully some of the audience at the coffee machine had a rethink about their prejudices.

Often the people concerned will continue in their ignorance but only by raising stereotypes can one knock them down and if only one person leaves the conversation with the thought "hmm... I never thought of it from that viewpoint" then mission accomplished.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now