Asking for paper to be remarked - Any Advice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Desperate_Parents

Asking for paper to be remarked - Any Advice?

Post by Desperate_Parents »

Hello one and all.

My daughter got her Slough Consortium 11+ results a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised that she got a low mark in VR and a higher mark in NVR as she is normally weak in NVR. As such she got a score of 109 which is less than the pass mark and we are thinking of appealing.
WHat I want to know is if there is any way we can ask for the papers to be remarked? Has something like this been done in the past and would it give different results? My only concern being that the papers are originally marked by machine and my daughter had a tendencey of not marking the paper properly.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Desperate_Parents
SUpple

Re: Asking for paper to be remarked - Any Advice?

Post by SUpple »

I am in the same boat, my son got 109 (VR) and 108(NVR), giving an overall score of 109. We are appealing too, and we are wondering whether it's also worth asking for a re-mark.

But I think I remember reading somewhere on here that re-marks usually don't come back with a difference....
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would ring your preferred school and ask for a remark. We had it done when we appealed....it didn't change anything but they were happy to do it.
SUpple

Post by SUpple »

I emailed LGS and they replied just an hour later telling me that they had re-marked it, and that it was the same score ie no change. They also gave me the raw scores, which were interesting! This info will go in our appeal pack as it may strengthen our case.

So, yes, it's worth asking for the marks!
Desperate_Parents

Post by Desperate_Parents »

SUpple wrote:I emailed LGS and they replied just an hour later telling me that they had re-marked it, and that it was the same score ie no change. They also gave me the raw scores, which were interesting! This info will go in our appeal pack as it may strengthen our case.

So, yes, it's worth asking for the marks!
Do we just email the school where the exam was taken and ask for a re-mark? What is the procedure?
SUpple

Post by SUpple »

I emailed Langley (where the exam was held) and asked them how I go about getting a re-mark. I was expecting a fee and a formal letter to be requested, but I got a lovely reply an hour or so later stating that the papers have been re-marked - but there is no change to the score!

Hope that helps.
munch

Post by munch »

Hi Desperate_Parents, I also called LGS yesterday and a lovely lady said the same thing to me. I too was surprised there was no charge and although there is a quick turn-around, she mentioned they have had a huge number of requests for re-marks so they are doing it as quickly as they can. Have just emailed my request now.
Good luck to you all.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I am not from your region but generally marks hardly change after remarks.

I had my daughter's papers remarked as they do it automatically if you ask to see your children's papers (that just a Kent thing) and there were a few of us on that day. None had there marks changed and they said none of the remarks they had done changed the scores. For multiple choice a machine is much more efficient than humans. Ask to for a remark but don't hang any hope on it.
Impossible is Nothing.
twilgs

Post by twilgs »

Hi SUppal,

Which email id did you email to? If you can share for other people to do this please?

Thanks
aargh

Post by aargh »

The machine is only more efficient if the DC has marked their paper strongly enough and rubbed out errors fully.
That is where a remark might have a point.