Reduction in University Applications for 2012

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fran17

Reduction in University Applications for 2012

Post by Fran17 »

Due to the reduction in university applications for 2012, does anyone think places may be offered to students who have missed out on their predicted grades, as was often the case in the past? I have heard that although applications from students in the UK have fallen, applications from students from outside the UK have gone up. Is there a cap on the number of places offered to students from outside the UK?
Looking for help

Re: Reduction in University Applications for 2012

Post by Looking for help »

Fran I don't know about any cap, we were however told by one of the admissions tutors we spoke to that this year was the year to drop a grade if you are going to, which is a hope for my daughter. I expect EU students will be put off in the same way as home based students because they will also have to pay the high fees.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Looking for help wrote:Fran I don't know about any cap, we were however told by one of the admissions tutors we spoke to that this year was the year to drop a grade if you are going to, which is a hope for my daughter. I expect EU students will be put off in the same way as home based students because they will also have to pay the high fees.
LFH I was hoping someone would say that! :D It would be great for my DS too! Need a fingers crossed emoticon!
Looking for help

Is this your first results day, Fran or have you been through the trauma before ?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Courses need to be filled - wht we do not know is which Unis/courses have been popular ...
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

This is my first time LFH. Not looking forward to it. How many times have you been through it?
Guest55 wrote:Courses need to be filled - wht we do not know is which Unis/courses have been popular ...
Yes, I don't suppose there aren't any statistics out there yet regarding this. :(
Last edited by Fran17 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help

Fran17 wrote:This is my first time LFH. Not looking forward to it. How many times have you been through it?
This is my third time :lol: I am less stressed this year, I think :lol:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Goodness me LFH, your third time! Oh well, I guess that will be me in six years time if my youngest DS decides to go to uni.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

The deadline for receipt of applications was 15th January I think, so it's probably too soon to tell.

This is our first time too with DD eagerly awaiting offers from Uni's. So far my DD has received 3 offers but still waiting to hear back from 2 others. Perhaps the reduction in applications will be good news for those who are still waiting for offers.

Harlequin
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Good luck to your DD Harlequin. Hopefully all our DCs will get what they want! :D