Accuracy of HT recommendations - who knows this?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2ndtimer

Accuracy of HT recommendations - who knows this?

Post by 2ndtimer »

I have seen several posts mentioning that a HT's recommendation in an appeal may be treated as of less importance if that HT's recommendations in general were not accurate; that is, if many children from a single school, all recommended as 1s, are now actually lodging an appeal it indicates that the HT's assessments were not accurate.

Who has the information of how many 1s the HT listed? I only know my own child's rating (1:2), and was not given stats on anything else. Is this something I *should* know?

I sometimes feel that I may not be gathering the correct information to take with me to the appeal panel, simply because I haven't asked the right question that would unlock it...

I hope this makes sense. Thank you for any input on this one! Apologies if this question has been covered in other posts -- I have been unable to find it.
Sally-Anne

Re: Accuracy of HT recommendations - who knows this?

Post by Sally-Anne »

You will receive the information on all the HTRs for the school in your appeal pack, when that arrives. It will be in a grid format, showing how many children on each HTR were recommended and successful/unsuccesful.

Meanwhile you can read up on it in D/e9 of the Q&As.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sally-Anne
2ndtimer

Post by 2ndtimer »

SallyAnne, I think you and Etienne do not sleep! Thank you so much for the prompt and helpful reply. :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

2ndtimer wrote:SallyAnne, I think you and Etienne do not sleep!
We are both night owls, although I have to say that Etienne does "early bird" much better than I do! :lol:
2ndtimer

Post by 2ndtimer »

A different question, but I've now taken on board the advice to keep all my questions in one place -- sorry for not having done so thus far.

My child achieved 117/118 in the 11+ (late November birthday). We have strong academic evidence to support an appeal so we are pursuing one. We have minor mitigating family circumstances so the thrust of our appeal is academic.

In the second 11+ test, another child burst into tears before the end of the test. This was obviously distracting to my child -- it was the first thing reported when my child came home -- so I had thought it was worth mentioning in the documentation. I *don't* intend to make this a key feature of our appeal, but thought it was relevant.

The test where this occurred was the one that my child ran out of time to completely finish (and also the one with the higher mark).

However, as the incident took place in the last two minutes of the test, the school has declined to mention it in the HT summary. I do have an email from the head which mentions the event and explains that it will not be included in her summary.

My question is, should I push the school to provide proper documentation of this event? Or is the email that mentions it sufficient? Or should I follow the school's advice and not mention this circumstance at all?

I don't want to appear to be clutching at straws, and if wishes were horses... but 2 minutes more on the test could have given my child the opportunity to finish and may even have swung the mark over the edge.

I'd welcome any input as I am conscious that my appeal date is approaching and worry may be clouding my thought processes!

Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The email from the head should be quite sufficient. :)
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now