Kumon - late starter

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Waiting_For_Godot

Kumon - late starter

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I'm really not sure if it's worth starting my eleven year old on Kumon because it's expensive and I do worry that it's too late now. He did it when he was very young and they always start doing work a couple of years behind school requirements although I believe they catch up and eventually overtake their peers. But at eleven I wonder of that's possible.

Does anyone have a child who started pretty late - around 10/11 and how long did it take before they started to work at a similar level to school and did they ever overtake school curriculum?

The reason I want him to do it is because we literally do not have the time to fit in anything longer or more detailed and I am very concerned at the academic standards in his current school.
scary mum

Re: Kumon - late starter

Post by scary mum »

Maybe Guest55 will be along soon, but from memory I don't think she rates Kumon very highly... She may have other suggestions though.
scary mum
poppit

Post by poppit »

Guest55 has the expert knowledge, but I would recommend the DIY route and do Schofield & Sims Mental Maths books, I suggest you start with Book 4. To make your life easier buy both the student workbook and the Teacher's book which has the answers.

Good luck.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Thanks, will look into it! :D
dani*

Post by dani* »

Can not comment in terms of starting Kumon at the age of 10/11. All I know is that we tried it when our DD was 5 and all I can say is that she hated it and if anything it did her more harm than good. She lost her confidence. Having said that there are a lot of people who swear by it.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

While you are deciding, you might want to have a look at

http://www.mathfactcafe.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can generate different worksheets to suit your ds.
Mamma Mia

Post by Mamma Mia »

I really wouldn't go to Kumon if you haven't been there for at least a year before an exam. I would recomend Kumon to go to if no exams are going to be taken: but those children who haven't gone though all of those crazy 11+ exams... ARE LUCKY... My daughter has been going to Kumon for two years and feels very confident in the many many many (etc.) exams she did. Poor thing, she not finished doing them yet!! :shock: :shock:
matreshka

Post by matreshka »

KUMON - WASTE OF MONEY !!! :!: :!: :!:
mystery

Post by mystery »

What aspect of maths is it that you feel he needs the most practice with?
moved

Post by moved »

Mine have never been, but pupils who have are very good at basic skills. However, they lack problem solving skills or creativity in their maths. If your son likes repetitive exercises then it probably won't do any harm.

I would agree with Poppit (name of a childhood cat) the Schofield and Sims books are a good place to start. I've never had the teachers' books though. The answers are quick to work through on your own and the books are very cheap.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/s ... rch&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now