Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mish

Appeal

Post by mish »

Hi there, just hoping for a bit of advice. I am currently in the process of gathering evidence for my sons appeal, his marks were 118/115. Although the head teacher has written a great letter in support of his application she has marked him a 3:2. Also I feel a little let down by his sat predictions as they are at 4a's, however this is based on an increase of one level where in past years he has always progressed 2 levels, which would have made him a 5 at least in maths. Due to this I have had him tested by an Ed Psyc in the hope of gaining further academic evidence, the scores were very good showing him above average IQ and superior intelligence in two out of the four sub tests. His reading, mental arithmetic and spelling all suggested that he was two years above his actual age, however when the school administered tests (which were different from the ed psyc) they came out suggesting he was only a year above his reading age and actually below his age in spelling. How do I account for these quite large discrepancies to the panal? Thank you.
Etienne

Re: Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

I don't think the panel will expect you to explain that, but the answer is that no test is 100% reliable. It's just a snapshot.

The tests used by EPs are highly regarded, but they do come with 'confidence intervals'.

However, my experience of some of the tests used by schools was that the result could vary dramatically with the day of the week! :roll:
Etienne
mish

Post by mish »

Thanks for your response. Just another quick question, in your experience are the panal more likely to look at the schools academic profile or the EP's?

Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No easy answer, I'm afraid. They will take account of all the evidence - but it's up to the individual panel what conclusions they draw!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now