Out of catchment

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tkc3

Out of catchment

Post by Tkc3 »

We live on the boarder to bucks and our primary school does not do any prep for the 11+ so we just did the familiarisation at home with him, probably not very well!
I understand that there is little grounds to use this as exceptional circumstances, however as we live out of area is it worth mentioning.
TK only achieved 110, we have fabulous school support with the head teacher marking him 1:1. his SATS at the end of year 5 scored:
maths 5b, reading 5c, writing 5c, science 5c.
His head teacher has written a letter supporting our appeal stating he has had little competition at his current school and would blossom in a grammar school system.
I note from previous posts that the lower the mark the more evidence is required. Is this academic or exceptional circumstances evidence.
Any help is most appreciated, especially as we are out of catchment.
Etienne

Re: Out of catchment

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
I understand that there is little grounds to use this as exceptional circumstances, however as we live out of area is it worth mentioning.
A brief mention would be worthwhile.
TK only achieved 110, we have fabulous school support with the head teacher marking him 1:1. his SATS at the end of year 5 scored:
maths 5b, reading 5c, writing 5c, science 5c.
His head teacher has written a letter supporting our appeal stating he has had little competition at his current school and would blossom in a grammar school system.
What about the range of evidence - does the school do any alternative reasoning tests?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I note from previous posts that the lower the mark the more evidence is required. Is this academic or exceptional circumstances evidence.
Both, but academic evidence is more important.
Etienne
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

Thanks for such a prompt reply! (excellent &informative site by the way!).
As far as I am aware his current school only does optional SATS (yr5) and reading age as a tracker.

I will however enquire tomorrow if there is anymore academic evidence that they can use.

Do all the bucks children sit the exam in the same place as the out of catchment kids?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

excellent &informative site by the way!
Thank you! :)
Do all the bucks children sit the exam in the same place as the out of catchment kids?
No, children of BCC primary schools and partner schools (whether they are independent schools within Bucks or out-of-county schools) sit the test at their own school. There's a brief discussion here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... nt#p274232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

Hi
We have submitted our appeals form and have a date early Feb.
We have considered an ed psych report but decided not to put our boy through more testing and the school do not do any other cats etc..... I did however find out today that he is on the schools gifted and talented register for maths, science and sport......although the HT wrote an excellent report giving him a 1:1 with outstanding comments regarding how he would blossom in a gammer system, she omitted the gifted and talented register.
My question is this: is it ok to just mention it at the heating or is it more beneficial to have it in writing?

Many thank again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It ought to be in writing from the school. :)
Etienne
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

Hia again.
Starting to swot up now and build our presentation planned for early Feb.
After reading through all the recent appeals my heart goes out to you all who have not been successful. But thank you anyway for sharing your experience.

Have I read it right that you are collating Raw scores Etienne?

I am trying to understand his remarked report which we requested to understand his disappointing score and perhaps give us some direction with the why do you think his score was so low question! But have to admit to being somewhat clueless :?
He is Nov born, paper 1 = 64 paper 2 = 60

After talking to our DD and trying to understand the causes he says he was running short of time and because he didn't feel he understood how to do the code questions so he just guessed them.
Paper 1 he got 2 out of 6 code questions correct
Paper 2 he go 0 out of 7 correct
From looking at the flow of marks, in both papers it would appear he started off well then it tailed off....which would correlate with his timing issues, and obviously the lack of understanding on how to do codes efficiently.
Is it discriminating to suggest he was not best prepared? Ie: hadn't ever sat in that environment, with that many children and as being OOC did not know what to expect?
Part of us however feel there was a level of, I hate to say it 'over confidence' as he has always been top 2 through out his school, without having to put much effort in! His HT and class teacher have both written that he is a child who thrives on competition.
I suppose I am getting a bit confused as to wish angle would be best to take?

Any advice would be most, most appreciated!

So many thanks to everyone, but especially for this site, which I have to say I recommend to everyone I know who will be going through the 11+ in the future!
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

:lol: my last post should read DS...and I apologise for my poor grammar....predictive text hey!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tkc3
Tkc3 wrote:Have I read it right that you are collating Raw scores Etienne?
I am the Official Keeper of the Raw Scores for Bucks. :D
I am trying to understand his remarked report which we requested to understand his disappointing score and perhaps give us some direction with the why do you think his score was so low question! But have to admit to being somewhat clueless :?
He is Nov born, paper 1 = 64 paper 2 = 60
If you would like to PM me the full results of the remark, I will be happy to take a look at them for you to see if there is anything more that can be unearthed. If you could use this format it would be helpful - by section, total questions and then errors:

Paper 1

1 - 7/0
2 - 7/0
etc

Please could you also give me the standardised scores for both papers.

Obviously I know how many questions there were in each section, but it helps me to cross-check that you have got it correct.

In the PM, please could you also let me know the actual date of your appeal? Thank you.
From looking at the flow of marks, in both papers it would appear he started off well then it tailed off....
Sustaining intensive concentration for 50 minutes is a big challenge for many 10 year olds. I have to say that, from all the remarks I have seen so far, all the children tailed off in the second half of Paper 2 - it was pretty tough.
Is it discriminating to suggest he was not best prepared?
The official line is that as long as he did the familiarisation process, that was "saturation preparation". :roll:
So many thanks to everyone, but especially for this site, which I have to say I recommend to everyone I know who will be going through the 11+ in the future!
It is our pleasure, and thank you for recommending us to others.

Sally-Anne
Tkc3

Post by Tkc3 »

Thanks Sally Anne
Friday evening and you are doing this! It is sooooo appreciated! I will now drop the result to you but can I confirm format is:
paper 1
Section 1 the the 1st number total available / the 2nd number how many he got wrong!

Sorry it has been a long old day and I think a GnT is needed! :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now