GCSE exams at end of year 11

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsChubbs

GCSE exams at end of year 11

Post by MrsChubbs »

Just wondered how people feel about the new government edict that all gcse exams for children in current year 9 onwards must be done at the end of the course or be linear courses to use academic speak (like in olden times at the end of year 11 - showing my age here) rather than in modular format? Have I misunderstood what I have read? And are you all aware of it and what do you think about it?
Mrs C
hermanmunster

Re: GCSE exams at end of year 11

Post by hermanmunster »

good idea .... far too many "exam times" and endless disruption to holidays waiting for results
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have posted about this on another thread - the issue is for the Year 9s that have started a 3 year GCSE ...
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My son is in year 9, about to embark on the science GCSEs - he is absolutely convinced he will be sitting a module in January next year when he's in y10.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I'm in two minds about it. I think the modules are useful as they motivate the students to start revising early. However, I, like Herman, think it can all be a bit disruptive. I lose track let alone the poor DCs.

Did I read on here somewhere that changes are in place with regard to resits? Is it true that students will only be permitted to resit once, and if they do, the grade they get will be their final grade?
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

As the mother of a Y11 and a Y9, I am very pleased that modules are on the way out and end of course exams are on the way in. My elder daughter has spent nearly two years taking modules every few weeks and it is, in my opinion, ridiculous.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Trafford mum - the modules are not every few weeks ... there are only a few sessions each year.

I've heard that you will need to resit the whole exam ...
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Oh dear, that does sound a bit harsh! :(
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I realise you teach in a grammar school and have direct knowledge of the system and how it works, Guest55, but I assure you that I do know what my daughter has been doing for the last 18 months. Just since September in Y11 (and including this current week), she has done/will have done 2 English modules, 3 science modules, 2 Spanish modules, a Geography module, a 10 hour Art module, has just received her next 10 hour Art module preparation list and only didn't do her Maths GCSE because we refused to let her sit it early. I think that's it. It's been pretty much constant pressure and stress.

Having said that, I do recognise that taking regular modules does seem to allow more detailed study of topics than the rote learning and regurgitation that I remember when I took my O Levels. Some of the material is very "noddy", but I have been impressed by more of it than I would have thought.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some of those will have been 'controlled assessments' - it is down to the school when these are scheduled. 'Proper' exams only happen in Nov, Jan March and June and not all subjects are offered at each session by each board..